fizzzle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I've been doing German at my school for three years now and I really enjoy it as well as get good grades in it.
I'd really like to take it for A-Levels and then maybe even continue learning after that. But I have heard that Modern Foreign Languages are really hard and maybe not worth it?
If anyone is doing/has done A-Level German please reply to this with your experience and any advice!!

Thank you so much!
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do it!!! , I got amazing grades in GCSE and I’m currently doing a level spanish. Yes it’s hard at the start but since you love it, I’m sure you’ll be fine
JoshBrownn15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I started Y12 in September, and chose A-Level German alongside Maths, Further Maths and Computing.At the end of September I dropped German because it was not for me. I quite enjoyed GCSE and got a grade 9, however I wasn't enjoying the A-Level course. As I'm sure you're aware, the course is very literature based, studying books and films, doing lots of reading and comprehension tasks, and lots of speaking. I did not like GCSE English and the idea of doing literature-based tasks in German was not for me. Yes I may have been silly for taking it in the first place considering I don't enjoy this, but I chose it simply just to try it.If this is what you enjoy, go for it. An A-Level language looks great on any CV I'm sure.
username120
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fizzzle)
Hi! I've been doing German at my school for three years now and I really enjoy it as well as get good grades in it.
I'd really like to take it for A-Levels and then maybe even continue learning after that. But I have heard that Modern Foreign Languages are really hard and maybe not worth it?
If anyone is doing/has done A-Level German please reply to this with your experience and any advice!!

Thank you so much!
My mum is a careers advisor and this is what she says!:

Any language looks great on a cv and it definitely opens doors when wanting to study abroad after a levels or doing a year abroad. However, it is very difficult and you would be advised to have a 7 or above to get a good grade. It is also very literature-based as you will study German book/ influencers/ history. So, it is important that you are interested in not just German but also Germany. However, if you love the subject and you're teachers think you'd like it go ahead!
( i also know a few people who have taken it for an AS and then chosen to continue to a level or stay at AS in June/July r yr 12)
fizzzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoshBrownn15)
I started Y12 in September, and chose A-Level German alongside Maths, Further Maths and Computing.At the end of September I dropped German because it was not for me. I quite enjoyed GCSE and got a grade 9, however I wasn't enjoying the A-Level course. As I'm sure you're aware, the course is very literature based, studying books and films, doing lots of reading and comprehension tasks, and lots of speaking. I did not like GCSE English and the idea of doing literature-based tasks in German was not for me. Yes I may have been silly for taking it in the first place considering I don't enjoy this, but I chose it simply just to try it.If this is what you enjoy, go for it. An A-Level language looks great on any CV I'm sure.
Thanks so much for sharing! My best subject is actually English, do you think that will be of help?
fizzzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by username120)
My mum is a careers advisor and this is what she says!:

Any language looks great on a cv and it definitely opens doors when wanting to study abroad after a levels or doing a year abroad. However, it is very difficult and you would be advised to have a 7 or above to get a good grade. It is also very literature-based as you will study German book/ influencers/ history. So, it is important that you are interested in not just German but also Germany. However, if you love the subject and you're teachers think you'd like it go ahead!
( i also know a few people who have taken it for an AS and then chosen to continue to a level or stay at AS in June/July r yr 12)
Thank you so much!! I am very interested in Germany as a whole aswell as the German language! I'm actually predicted to achieve a 7+ I guess I'm just nervous about how hard everybody is saying it is. But thanks so much this is so helpful!
Caz1234567
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do it! You haven't got much to lose I felt the same about GCSE Spanish and I'm now doing a level Spanish. You can always drop or swap the subject in the first few weeks of year 12
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (121)
62.69%
I don't have everything I need (72)
37.31%

Watched Threads