username5490332
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m planning to apply to Southampton, Sussex, Portsmouth, Reading and Winchester for BSc Mathematics Are they good for maths? Or are there any I shouldn’t apply to? My predicted grades are A*AA
natfizz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lilbabypenguin)
I’m planning to apply to Southampton, Sussex, Portsmouth, Reading and Winchester for BSc Mathematics Are they good for maths? Or are there any I shouldn’t apply to? My predicted grades are A*AA
Have you looked at Warwick? Great reputation for Maths, but might have to take STEP papers.
username5490332
Rep:
?
(Original post by natfizz)
Have you looked at Warwick? Great reputation for Maths, but might have to take STEP papers.
I think I’ve missed STEP papers now, my predicted grades are too low and I didn’t do FM Plus don’t want the stress of a top uni like that
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey lilbabypenguin,

Whilst I personally don't study maths, Kira on unibuddy does. You can find her here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/about/chat...-students.aspx She'll be able to give you an insight into what it is like to be a student studying mathematics. In general, though, uni has given lots of careers support which I've found really helpful. I have taken part in thrive mentoring whereby you get matched with a person from the industry you're interested in. I found this really helpful in improving my CV and cover letters. Reading Uni also offer 1 to 1 career mentoring which can help when applying to placements and grad schemes.

On the 3rd of December, we have a virtual event about how to find the right university which I think you might find useful. You can sign up here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...al-events.aspx

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!
From,

Amina 😊
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
With those predicted grades the only one that is good enough for you is Southampton. If you are just looking at unis in the South then maybe consider Bristol and Exeter as well. Bristol would consider you if you are doing Physics or Economics instead of Further Maths. Other than that there are plenty further north that are good enough.
username5490332
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutz99)
With those predicted grades the only one that is good enough for you is Southampton. If you are just looking at unis in the South then maybe consider Bristol and Exeter as well. Bristol would consider you if you are doing Physics or Economics instead of Further Maths. Other than that there are plenty further north that are good enough.
Yeah I’m aware my grades are much higher than the ones them unis want. I didn’t do physics or economics, I do business studies and psychology. I really don’t wanna go north or west so I think I’ll just stick with them options even though they’re too low. Thank you though
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I’m aware my grades are much higher than the ones them unis want. I didn’t do physics or economics, I do business studies and psychology. I really don’t wanna go north or west so I think I’ll just stick with them options even though they’re too low. Thank you though
I had a feeling you might want to stay south. What about Surrey (in Guildford) which has a decent reputation. To put it into perspective these are the average salaries for Maths Graduates:

Surrey £27300
Southampton £25000
Reading £25000
Exeter £25000
Sussex £22000
Portsmouth £20821
Winchester No info

The likelihood is that you will get unconditional offers from Portsmouth and Winchester to try to entice you there. I wouldn't even consider them. A better option would be Royal Holloway, which although classed as a London Uni, is not really in London. Quite close to Windsor.

I know in the current climate it is difficult to visit the universities but if you can, visit the towns/cities themselves so you can get a feel for the place. It might persuade you one way or the other. Other than that have a good look at the modules on offer to see if they suit you.
username5490332
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutz99)
I had a feeling you might want to stay south. What about Surrey (in Guildford) which has a decent reputation. To put it into perspective these are the average salaries for Maths Graduates:

Surrey £27300
Southampton £25000
Reading £25000
Exeter £25000
Sussex £22000
Portsmouth £20821
Winchester No info

The likelihood is that you will get unconditional offers from Portsmouth and Winchester to try to entice you there. I wouldn't even consider them. A better option would be Royal Holloway, which although classed as a London Uni, is not really in London. Quite close to Windsor.

I know in the current climate it is difficult to visit the universities but if you can, visit the towns/cities themselves so you can get a feel for the place. It might persuade you one way or the other. Other than that have a good look at the modules on offer to see if they suit you.
Thank you so much that’s really useful. I think I briefly looked and Royal Holloway but either the entry requirements looked a bit low or they wanted something from me that I didn’t have, but I’ll take a look that sounds decent
username5490332
Rep:
?
Another thing worth mentioning is that I want to avoid doing any dynamics and relativity/mechanics topics if poss!
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another thing worth mentioning is that I want to avoid doing any dynamics and relativity/mechanics topics if poss!
Maybe look for a course that is heavy on statistics. There are some that do Maths and Statistics. If you want to go into banking or finance then maybe Maths with Finance or Maths with Economics.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be blunt: No, these aren't especially great for maths (relative to someone who will realistically get A*AA) and you are selling yourself short imho. Don't think you should really be looking at any of these except Soton, but ofc it's up to you in the end. The upside will be that since the course will cater for those with often lower than the entry requirement, (there will be exceptions - some very bright students decide to stay local and do very well, or underperformed in A-levels, but generally the course will be pitched to the majority) you could breeze through the degree and have more time for other commitments. Depends what you're looking for out of the degree, in the end.

Lancaster is a decent choice you might want to consider in addition to the above. You haven't missed deadlines for STEP but it's an intimidating exam and there's no real shame in not doing it. Plus now that STEP I doesn't exist I don't think there's any papers that are accessible to people without at least AS FM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (74)
66.07%
I don't have everything I need (38)
33.93%

Watched Threads