Living in Halls vs At Home (COVID Edition)

Watch
HeyImJack
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am a Year 13 student that is planning on going to university in 2021. I have been reading all of these student accommodation vs living at home posts - however not many of them have taken into account the covid pandemic.

I live about 50 minute train journey/30 minute drive (through a toll road) away, I currently have a job about 10 minutes up the road. I plan to study computer science.

My original plan was move out for the first year - get in the middle of the university ~vibe~ then move back home for my second year if I thought it was overrated. Accommodation prices are coming in at £180/week for on-site halls, so it’s a lot of money even with student loans helping towards it.

I won’t receive any bursary, but I have some savings.

My worry is moving out costs a lot, not many jobs are out there currently due to many places going bust and with my course being so easily adaptable into online content, is it even worth me moving out?

People who didn’t move out, do you regret it?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HeyImJack)
Hi,

I am a Year 13 student that is planning on going to university in 2021. I have been reading all of these student accommodation vs living at home posts - however not many of them have taken into account the covid pandemic.

I live about 50 minute train journey/30 minute drive (through a toll road) away, I currently have a job about 10 minutes up the road. I plan to study computer science.

My original plan was move out for the first year - get in the middle of the university ~vibe~ then move back home for my second year if I thought it was overrated. Accommodation prices are coming in at £180/week for on-site halls, so it’s a lot of money even with student loans helping towards it.

I won’t receive any bursary, but I have some savings.

My worry is moving out costs a lot, not many jobs are out there currently due to many places going bust and with my course being so easily adaptable into online content, is it even worth me moving out?

People who didn’t move out, do you regret it?
Hey HeyImJack!

First of all I would perhaps wait and see how the COVID pandemic is after easter (as this is when the vaccines are supposed to have been given to all the vulnerable and life will start going back to normal)
Obviously it could change a lot until then so I wouldn't make any decisions about moving out until it all becomes clearer!

So you say that you live a 50 min train journey/ 30 min drive away from your uni, do you have your own car? And would you still be able to afford your car when you start uni if you were living at home? and what about if you lived at uni ?
Depending on your uni if you do decide to stay in first year you may not be allowed to take your car with you - so it would be sat at home unused.

If you don't have a car then you'll have to commute to uni on the days when you have lectures or seminars, you may also want to go in more than this to use the facilities as you're doing a computer based degree - you could require some programmes that are only available using the university facilities. (But you can always email the uni to find out if this is the case or not )
A commute of 50 minutes isn't bad - and you could do work on the train so I would say it is dooable

Considering if life goes back to normal - in regards to being able to meet up with friends, go out and do things, go on nights out - then this may be a little harder if you live away from home. But theres nothing stopping you making friends with people that live at uni and staying at their place after a night out.
So that may be something you want to consider - whether it would be easier to live at uni, be a short walk away from campus and any facilities you need and your social life.

As for your job, can you keep it even if you do move out for uni? At least whilst you try to find a job nearer to the uni

It is completely your decision, but I hope I have given you a few things to think about to help you decide!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads