Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
bysshe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was there! Specifically for Univ, which I loved, so I'm definitely going to apply there. And as I arrived at Oxford at around 10:30 and left at 6:30, I had quite a bit of time to wander around, too...the town as well as the college.
Huzun
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Visited Balliol and Lincoln. Love Lincoln's library, though the college's a tad small..
Rudrax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was there with my brother whose applying for Physics. He didn't really have a plan, after going to the Physics faculty we were just walking around and walked into colleges we ended up walking past.

We saw Keble, Wadham, Balliol, Trinity, Exeter, Lincoln, Brasenose, Hertford, Merton, Corpus and Worcester. Tried to visit Jesus, Univ and Queens' but they'd closed by the time we got round to them.

I think my brother's leaning towards Worcester, mainly because the grounds are amazing.
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by GHOSH-5)
Anyone else go to this?

i went, specifically to the balliol one. it was awesome. loved the college, and most of oxford really. i also got to visit trinity, christ church, exeter, lincoln, st johns, brasenose, magdalen, jesus too. most were really nice. christ church was amazing but imposing at the same time. magdalen was lovely. where did everyone else visit?
Out of interest, did the maths tutors/students tell you anything that's not in the prospectus which is worth knowing? Like random statistics or something.
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Magdalen wouldn't let me in I was gutted as I'm trying to choose between there and Wadham. Not impressed.
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by GHOSH-5)
Anyone else go to this?

i went, specifically to the balliol one. it was awesome. loved the college, and most of oxford really. i also got to visit trinity, christ church, exeter, lincoln, st johns, brasenose, magdalen, jesus too. most were really nice. christ church was amazing but imposing at the same time. magdalen was lovely. where did everyone else visit?
AHAHA i was at balliol too. You may have seen me as i turned up late to the admissions talk. The tutors accent was quite amusing. I was the tall chap wearing a black shirt over a grey t shirt. I was there for physics. Christ church was insane. it dwarfed every other college. i however no longer wish to attend balliol. i am rather taken with worcester
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
Magdalen wouldn't let me in I was gutted as I'm trying to choose between there and Wadham. Not impressed.
I went in ???
i just sort of walked straight through, laughing disdainfully at the 'no open day' sign
well maybe not the second bit, that could have been viewed as conspicuous
i also bought a coke from a vending machine i found in a cupboard there.
good times
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
I went in ???
i just sort of walked straight through, laughing disdainfully at the 'no open day' sign
well maybe not the second bit, that could have been viewed as conspicuous
i also bought a coke from a vending machine i found in a cupboard there.
good times
:O That's unfair! Well you can tell me what it's like then.

A) Can you opt out of meals in like a PAYG thing?
B) What is the accommodation like?
C) What's the atmosphere like? Is it relaxed like Wadham? or more uptight?
D) Is it really as pretty as people say?

sidewalkwhenshewalks
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

oh this is awful
i dont even want to go there. i just wandered in for the sake of it. sorry
it is extraordinarily pretty though if that helps. i cant answer the question about the atmosphere though because there wasn't actually an open day. We were essentially trespassing and trying to avoid people who knew we weren't meant to be there.
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh this is awful
i dont even want to go there. i just wandered in for the sake of it. sorry
it is extraordinarily pretty though if that helps. i cant answer the question about the atmosphere though because there wasn't actually an open day. We were essentially trespassing and trying to avoid people who knew we weren't meant to be there.
Well you're no good :p:

Hmm, I think it'd be best for me just to apply to Wadham then. Stick to what you know and all that :p: Where are you thinking of applying to?
sidewalkwhenshewalks
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well you're no good :p:

Hmm, I think it'd be best for me just to apply to Wadham then. Stick to what you know and all that :p: Where are you thinking of applying to?
my application is a tangled mess, but cutting through the confusion
worcester
i was going to apply to balliol but it didnt seem right for me and worcester is like some kind of crazy palace, so wahey there we go.
what are you aplying for
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rudrax)
I was there with my brother whose applying for Physics. He didn't really have a plan, after going to the Physics faculty we were just walking around and walked into colleges we ended up walking past.

We saw Keble, Wadham, Balliol, Trinity, Exeter, Lincoln, Brasenose, Hertford, Merton, Corpus and Worcester. Tried to visit Jesus, Univ and Queens' but they'd closed by the time we got round to them.

I think my brother's leaning towards Worcester, mainly because the grounds are amazing.
Rudrax Jii! If only I'd known you were going, I'd have made sure I met you. If you saw an Asian girl wandering round giving tours, that was me :yep:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
worcester
i was going to apply to balliol but it didnt seem right for me and worcester is like some kind of crazy palace, so wahey there we go.
what are you aplying for
Did I meet you today?! Were you shown round by an Asian girl?
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
worcester
what are you aplying for
Medicine, cos I'm cool You?

I couldn't find Worcester :/ Totally rubbish at map reading :p: Just looked at the website though and it looks rather cool.

What do you mean by crazy?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Medicine, cos I'm cool You?

I couldn't find Worcester :/ Totally rubbish at map reading :p: Just looked at the website though and it looks rather cool.

What do you mean by crazy?
that you couldn't find Worcester! Tiz very cool! :cool:

Crazy as in: it's got a lake :eek:, the buildings are very eclectic (ranging from the 13th century to stuff built just 6 months ago), the chapel is... colourful, shall we say?! and our formal hall is weird with lots of door/mallett banging, swishy gowns and Latin prayers
LizB
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I went with a couple of friends. I saw Brasenose, Oriel, New and Worcester. Brasenose I really liked it just felt right you know? Oriel was nice as well and the guy showing us round was enderingly posh. New just felt wrong and Worcester I actually found just wasn't for me, the ducks were nice though. I have previously visited St Catz and really disliked it.
The_Lonely_Goatherd did you do a tour with a male student and was there a woman with a pram who left mid way through? Because if so I was a part of that tour.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LizB)
I went with a couple of friends. I saw Brasenose, Oriel, New and Worcester. Brasenose I really liked it just felt right you know? Oriel was nice as well and the guy showing us round was enderingly posh. New just felt wrong and Worcester I actually found just wasn't for me, the ducks were nice though. I have previously visited St Catz and really disliked it.
The_Lonely_Goatherd did you do a tour with a male student and was there a woman with a pram who left mid way through? Because if so I was a part of that tour.
Yep, that was me! :cool: Glad you looked round a few colleges and found one you clicked with! Brasenose is nice
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

A) Yes. Meals are opt in, pay as you go, just turn up - apart from Formal Halls or Sports dinners which are special and you book in advance.

B) Guaranteed for all undergrad years (well & 2/3 of clinical medicine). Relatively good. 'Off site' is over the road/bridge, not an annex miles away. Flat fee rate. Ballot system. Good catering facilities. Decent sized rooms on the whole. En suite possible 2nd & 3rd year if important to you.

C) 'Atmosphere' depends on your take on it and peers. It's too fluffy a thing for me to comment on really.

D) More so!

If they were open to the public today then you should have been able to look round for free if you said you were a prospective student. They weren't having an Open Day though.
Zealous porters have plus points when you're actually a student living and working somewhere.
LizB
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Yep, that was me! :cool: Glad you looked round a few colleges and found one you clicked with! Brasenose is nice
Hehe I was the ginger one with the vote for Kermit T-shirt :yep: I'm just that cool. The thing about Brasenose is I originally thought about applying to it when I was just reading the websites etc but for some reason I kind of wimped out and started thinking about the whole numbers game thing. However I realised that was stupid and that I was better off applying for where I want to actually go. Plus the buildings were pretty
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads