Explain unemployment gap on CV?

Watch
route255
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been unemployed since i left University. Do i state this in CV or i when i get interview if it gets asked?
aranando beau
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why not create your own company?????????
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by aranando beau)
why not create your own company?????????
Im skint !
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s no big deal. I wouldn’t put it on the CV and just say you were job hunting if asked. If you have done any voluntary work or study in that period it would be good to mention that on the CV.
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zarek)
It’s no big deal. I wouldn’t put it on the CV and just say you were job hunting if asked. If you have done any voluntary work or study in that period it would be good to mention that on the CV.
Apart from job hunting which is priority, i have been trying to keep with the industry through journals etc.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't claim something other than the truth. Some employers are suspicious of CV gaps, that you were up to no good (cash in hand work, dealing in drugs, membership of Extinction Rebellion, for example).
aranando beau
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ok, i give you an advice, you can get the job and prepare your business
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
Don't claim something other than the truth. Some employers are suspicious of CV gaps, that you were up to no good (cash in hand work, dealing in drugs, membership of Extinction Rebellion, for example).
If im asked ill say the truth of course.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zarek)
I agree
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
I have been unemployed since i left University. Do i state this in CV or i when i get interview if it gets asked?
Someone might ask what you've been doing since you left Uni, so make sure you've got something constructive to talk about. But its not a very relevant question to ask in normal times, it's a bit daft to ask it if you graduated this year!
sarah.911
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm the same, I just say I've been job hunting. I just started an online personal development course relevant to my degree, you can find loads on reed, it may be useful to you. Just so I have something useful to say when I next have an interview, even though it's stuff I already learnt from uni.
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Someone might ask what you've been doing since you left Uni, so make sure you've got something constructive to talk about. But its not a very relevant question to ask in normal times, it's a bit daft to ask it if you graduated this year!
I think i will look at doing some volunteer work, look up local food banks.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think this is one year where if you say you were helping care for your family in some way no one is going to question it.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on how long it is since you left university. June 2020? No issue at all. June 2019? Probably not. Prior to that - yes.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Again focus on skills.
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Again focus on skills.
Focused my transferable skills on my CV and mention key ones in my cover letters.

Start retail job next week, though still determined to get graduate job in the near future.
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
It depends on how long it is since you left university. June 2020? No issue at all. June 2019? Probably not. Prior to that - yes.
Yes I graduated this year!
kkboyk
Report 1 month ago
You'll be asked during interviews, so you can just explain it then. What they're interested in knowing is what have you been doing whilst you were unemployed. Were you learning new skills? Were you volunteering? They want to see if you were making use of that time.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
Yes I graduated this year!
Nothing to worry about then. As others have noted its worth thinking what you will say when asked - partly to present yourself in a positive light and partly so as not to feel nervous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (219)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (173)
44.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise