FoodsBe4Dudes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am going into sixth form next year and contemplating options. Is there a difference between A-level Religious Studies and A-level philosophy & theology? If so what is it please?
09ERDES09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, so A-level Religious studies is the application of ethical and philosophical theories to a religion in my school, we are doing Christianity but other options are Judaism and Hinduism-depending on your centre/school-In RS we don't only study religion we study ethics and philosophy alongside it so I'd suggest doing religious studies. I haven't really heard of A-level Theology and philosophy, but perhaps look at each specification and see which one you see yourself doing. I hope this helps!!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
research the specifications and ask the relevant subject teachers
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is A level Religious Studies, offered by all exam boards, and within that there is the study of specific religions and also of philosophy and ethics. As different schools pick different options for this it can often be offered by a school under the name of RS, or Philosophy and Ethics* or, it seems, Philosophy and Theology, but what the final A level certificate will say is Religious Studies.

There is an A level Philosophy available from AQA but it is not common and I don't think it's what you're being offered.

* The previous specification allowed you to do purely Philosophy and Ethics and no specific religion. This isn't possible any more but some schools haven't changed the name.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.86%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (159)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.1%

Watched Threads