Cover letter, narrow margins ok?

Watch
route255
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it ok to use narrow margins to format my cover letter. I struggle to fit everything into one page with addresses at top of letter?
My CV has narrow margins.
SHADOW_SCRIPT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sounds all good
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by route255)
Is it ok to use narrow margins to format my cover letter. I struggle to fit everything into one page with addresses at top of letter?
My CV has narrow margins.
Be careful, because CVs are more often than not printed off (unless you are applying to a really large organisation that uses software to extract info). Workplace printers are often set for bulk, standardised printing and you don't want the edges of your letter cut off.

Aim for 2 cm all around, definitely not less than 1.5cm. Remember your CV reviewer will likely want to make notes in the margins/white space if you are a competitive candidate.
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Be careful, because CVs are more often than not printed off (unless you are applying to a really large organisation that uses software to extract info). Workplace printers are often set for bulk, standardised printing and you don't want the edges of your letter cut off.

Aim for 2 cm all around, definitely not less than 1.5cm. Remember your CV reviewer will likely want to make notes in the margins/white space if you are a competitive candidate.
I never thought of that, dont think i would fit my cv into 2 pages then. I could possibly cut one job!
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are you putting in your cover letter that is taking up so much space? The bulk of your information should be in your CV.

You should reference the role for which you are applying, why you are suitable, highlight particular skills and what you can bring to the job, summarise.
route255
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
What are you putting in your cover letter that is taking up so much space? The bulk of your information should be in your CV.

You should reference the role for which you are applying, why you are suitable, highlight particular skills and what you can bring to the job, summarise.
The two addresses take up half the page! I cut out a paragraph about a uni project and mentioned it to back up one of my skills.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The two addresses take up half the page! I cut out a paragraph about a uni project and mentioned it to back up one of my skills.
There should only be one address, yours. You don't need to put their's in at all.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello

Take out the extra address.
route255
Rep:
?
Yeah, i must of followed my unis career guides as they show the cover letters with the companies address. I thought that was the right thing to do.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, i must of followed my unis career guides as they show the cover letters with the companies address. I thought that was the right thing to do.
That's because they haven't updated them since the use of email became the norm!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads