What am I supposed to be doing on my gap year to build my CV?

Watch
ms564
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a place for law at LSE next year but I have no work/volunteering experience and I haven't been able to find any opportunities for gap year students- I also live with someone who's shielding so I'm even more limited in my options as anything I do would have to be done from home. I'm worried that doing nothing on my gap year and only having academic skills is going to disadvantage me, esp. if I apply to things like insight schemes in my first year. Please lmk what you think I should be doing this year
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is a tough one but most employers should understand if you have nothing there.

There should however be some volunteering roles available. Community libraries, charity shops etc. Check your local council for guidance. Things will look better next year and I imagine you will find something before you start your degree.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Google foreign volunteering options.
Bedaquiline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know for university students, the Coronavirus Tutoring Iniative exists, where you volunteer as an online tutor for disadvantaged students. I wonder if you could ask them to accept you during your gap year or find something similar - even just posting on your local Nextdoor. Volunteering is great for your CV and the tutoring aspect will keep your academic skills fresh for next year.

Also, it's still worth considering Workaway, WWOOF, HelpX etc - you could stay somewhere nice and rural for several weeks, work on a farm or doing DIY, and that way you wouldn't need to worry about the person who's shielding (as you wouldn't live with them any more). The hosts cover your living costs and food, so it's less expensive than traditional travelling, and you could do it within the UK to avoid quarantining.

Other than that, as others here have said things will probably be a bit more normal in a few months, so hang on!
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Duly noted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (223)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (175)
43.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise