What jobs can I do with English Lit, Sociology and Media

Watch
rwatson9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to take english lit, sociology and media or graphic design at A Level, I'm not sure whether I want to do something creative in the future or not but I enjoy those subjects.What degrees at Uni could I do and what careers would this lead to?
ParadoxicalNerd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t want to discourage you, but with those subjects, you would probably be limited to degrees along the lines of English / Journalism / Marketing & Business. If you really want to keep your options open, you should pick more varied subjects. For example instead of Media, maybe you could do a language A level to add some contrast? Or History / Politics instead of Sociology? Or even a Science / Maths?
Last edited by ParadoxicalNerd; 1 month ago
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t just go uni especially if that career doesn’t require a degree. What sort of stuff are you interested in?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would not discourage you but you may wish to keep your options open.
rwatson9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hootdoot04)
Don’t just go uni especially if that career doesn’t require a degree. What sort of stuff are you interested in?
I've been doing Graphics at GCSE and it is my favourite subject with English. But I'm also interested by subjects like Law/Psychology/Sociology so I wanted to do something broad to decide whether I wanted to have a more creative career or not. But my school doesn't have a Graphics A Level, so I chose Media instead. So I'm not sure whether I actually want to do media or something like Law. But if I do Law instead, then I won't be doing any creative subjects so I'd feel like I'd be limiting myself.
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rwatson9)
I want to take english lit, sociology and media or graphic design at A Level, I'm not sure whether I want to do something creative in the future or not but I enjoy those subjects.What degrees at Uni could I do and what careers would this lead to?
rwatson9
Hello! I have a 1st BA (Hons) Degree in Sociology. In terms of its function in my life, it was life changing and made me look at the world differently, it was really empowering and I had a lot of fun. However, I did get a roll of the eyes from the guy at the job center when I finished University, it is often seen as the unfashionable baby brother of Psychology. If you do a degree in Sociology, I recommend having a focused career goal to aim for like social work or teaching. Maybe look for post graduate placement opportunities if you wanted to do social work. Getting some observation experience in a local school/college will really help with your PGCE application if you go into teaching

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The most important thing with A levels is that you enjoy the subjects that you are doing - because this is what will give you the motivation to study and therefore get good grades. There is no point in doing subjects that appear 'worthy' but you dont enjoy.

Many Arts/Humanities/Social Science degrees do not require any specific A level subjects - have a look at some entry requirements on University course pages. Did you know that Law for instance does not require any specific subjects - you could be doing 3 sciences and it would be okay.

So, dont worry about limiting yourself by taking certain A level subjects - English and Sociology are solid essay-based subjects and useful for so many degree subjects, and one 'I just enjoy it' subject like Media or Graphics is fine.
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rwatson9)
I've been doing Graphics at GCSE and it is my favourite subject with English. But I'm also interested by subjects like Law/Psychology/Sociology so I wanted to do something broad to decide whether I wanted to have a more creative career or not. But my school doesn't have a Graphics A Level, so I chose Media instead. So I'm not sure whether I actually want to do media or something like Law. But if I do Law instead, then I won't be doing any creative subjects so I'd feel like I'd be limiting myself.
Don’t go into law lol, too many graduates and not enough jobs
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hootdoot04)
Don’t go into law lol, too many graduates and not enough jobs

Law grads go into a hundred different careers aside from just 'Law'.
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Law grads go into a hundred different careers aside from just 'Law'.
It’s still oversaturated tho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (312)
56.01%
I don't have everything I need (245)
43.99%

Watched Threads