The Student Room Group

Nervous about taking the cervical test/smear test ... ADVICE

Hi

I'm almost 25 yrs old and I got a letter in September about taking the smear test, Iv'e ignored it. Then this afternoon I received another letter about having not taken the test- even though I'm still 24 yrs old. I understand the importance of taking the test, I'm just really nervous about taking it. Sorry if I am sounding naive but I find the whole thing very embarrassing and invading of my privacy.... The thought of a nurse looking at your V freaks me out.

Being honest I haven't been sexually active either. Why should I take it?

I don't have much support, I don't have close friends to come with me and I have no members of my family who I would trust to come with me. My mum sadly passed away , if my mum was still here I would definitely take the test.

I'm just on my own :frown:

In summary I really want to take the test it's a important thing for women to have, but I'm just too embarrassed and nervous to take it.

Do you have any advice...thanks
If you have never been sexually active and have had the HPV vaccine, there is probably no need for you to take it. I was told by the sexual health clinic and my GP that I would need to to start having smears a year after I became sexually active.

Quick Reply

Latest