Trainee234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ll preface this by saying this is only early days at the moment due to covid and certain years in quarantine. It’s been a different year to say the least so I’m still learning things as I go along. Although I’ve noticed some things I hope someone can help me on.

So, the first issue is, I’m nervous for my first lesson. My mentor is just a brilliant. Of course I know experience is half the game and I know it’ll take me time to get there. But it’s the students in the class that make me nervous. I think I’ve already figured out who’s who and what’s what but I need to keep getting to know them.

The teacher is really fair with them. She doesn’t tend to discipline for device use in lessons which is fair because she’s doing an amazing job with her teaching. But I know I would have to say phones away because that’s what my school experience as a kid was. Would you advise me to be firm but fair or be strict and eventually show some personality?

Secondly the other subject trainee alongside me is just too in your face she’s always talking to a teacher or making smart Alec comments with them like she’s known them for years, any ideas on whether I should just back off? I desperately want to get to know the others

Any advice??
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trainee234)
I’ll preface this by saying this is only early days at the moment due to covid and certain years in quarantine. It’s been a different year to say the least so I’m still learning things as I go along. Although I’ve noticed some things I hope someone can help me on.

So, the first issue is, I’m nervous for my first lesson. My mentor is just a brilliant. Of course I know experience is half the game and I know it’ll take me time to get there. But it’s the students in the class that make me nervous. I think I’ve already figured out who’s who and what’s what but I need to keep getting to know them.

The teacher is really fair with them. She doesn’t tend to discipline for device use in lessons which is fair because she’s doing an amazing job with her teaching. But I know I would have to say phones away because that’s what my school experience as a kid was. Would you advise me to be firm but fair or be strict and eventually show some personality?

Secondly the other subject trainee alongside me is just too in your face she’s always talking to a teacher or making smart Alec comments with them like she’s known them for years, any ideas on whether I should just back off? I desperately want to get to know the others

Any advice??
Morning.

Just be yourself and get to the know the staff around you and don't be afraid to ask questions to get know them better. I wouldn't be in your face like the other trainee as this may put people off, but don't be afraid to start conversations when you feel the time is right and staff aren't busy. Maybe during a break or lunch time?

As for your lessons, it's a difficult one in terms of you are taking over that teachers lessons who doesn't discipline for using devices, even though this is probably a school policy. My advice on this would be to be careful on how much they use them, as they may take the mic and try to use them too much. Try to incorporate this into your teaching so that they have a purpose to use them. However, do not be afraid to ask them to put these away and if they don't after your request, then go down the relevant behaviour policy procedures, and if you need to apply a sanction then this is the right thing to do. Speak with your mentor and build your style, as your teaching style will be different and you want your personality to come across when teaching, whilst also making students aware that you have high expectations and do not tolerate misbehavior, so will sanction if necessary. Firm but fair and the students will see you are a very welcoming teacher, but also don't tolerate poor behaviour.

Hope this helps.
Dan
Trainee234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Morning.

Just be yourself and get to the know the staff around you and don't be afraid to ask questions to get know them better. I wouldn't be in your face like the other trainee as this may put people off, but don't be afraid to start conversations when you feel the time is right and staff aren't busy. Maybe during a break or lunch time?

As for your lessons, it's a difficult one in terms of you are taking over that teachers lessons who doesn't discipline for using devices, even though this is probably a school policy. My advice on this would be to be careful on how much they use them, as they may take the mic and try to use them too much. Try to incorporate this into your teaching so that they have a purpose to use them. However, do not be afraid to ask them to put these away and if they don't after your request, then go down the relevant behaviour policy procedures, and if you need to apply a sanction then this is the right thing to do. Speak with your mentor and build your style, as your teaching style will be different and you want your personality to come across when teaching, whilst also making students aware that you have high expectations and do not tolerate misbehavior, so will sanction if necessary. Firm but fair and the students will see you are a very welcoming teacher, but also don't tolerate poor behaviour.

Hope this helps.
Dan
This is really helpful.

Thank you!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trainee234)

Any advice??
Good luck with your first lesson. Becoming an excellent teacher is a long journey so I would start nice and simple. Focus on what you need to do in order to get the kids doing what you want them to do. In your first lessons, I wouldn't worry too much about behaviour management other than to perhaps set out your expectations.

"Hi - I'm Miss / Mr Trainee234, I will be teaching you <insert subject / topic here> for the next few weeks. Blah blah blah. All I would ask is that whilst I am teaching you, you put your phones right out of sight where I can't see them and they don't distract you or others."

It only needs to take 30 seconds, but then you have a good fall back to take further action at a later date when they start pushing to see how far they can go. My advice for when things do start to slip is to confiscate the phone and get them to pick it up at the end of the day and if it happens twice or more, get the parents to come and pick it up. You won't have any problems with phones after you have done that a few times.

Good luck!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Advice for the lesson

Find out about pupil ability. Use that to guide you. In order to deliver and pull off a good lesson prepare a short list of topics to cover and also try finding ways to connect with the kids appropriately of course. Consider finding some educational videos and other fun resources to catch their attention. Or you can even do a quick fire round of questions with them instead of note taking. Establish your expectations and so on right away. Have them tell one fact about themselves and yes this is a great warm up activity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads