Turn on thread page Beta

Vegan and Gluten Intolerant watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been ill for the past week so i need to cut gluten out of my diet to see if its something to do with that but i have no idea what i can actually eat!

At the moment all i'm eating is pasta and salad but i'm gonna have to cut pasta out from tomorrow. I can't just live on salad.

If i have to i will eat meat, but i would prefer not to. And i'm lactose intolerant so dairy products are not an option.

Any suggestions? Something cheap would be preferable as i'm a student. But anything would do.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    what makes you think it's the gluten causing the probs? If you've just been ill for a week isn't it far more likely that you've picked up a bug?

ReputationRep:
    You can get gluten free pasta..and bread... and everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    You can get gluten free pasta..and bread... and everything else.
    :yep: Just poke about in your supermarket for gluten-free pasta (I'm sure I sure a bag of it in Co-op last week). Not sure about bread - my friend gets it by prescription or something I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadel_L)
    I've been ill for the past week so i need to cut gluten out of my diet to see if its something to do with that but i have no idea what i can actually eat!

At the moment all i'm eating is pasta and salad but i'm gonna have to cut pasta out from tomorrow. I can't just live on salad.

If i have to i will eat meat, but i would prefer not to. And i'm lactose intolerant so dairy products are not an option.

Any suggestions? Something cheap would be preferable as i'm a student. But anything would do.

Thanks
    why would it? I really really doubt that this is the case. You need to see a professional doctor/nutritionist.

ReputationRep:
    We had a friend come over for dinner the other day who was gluten intolerant and vegan. It was a nightmare to think of something to cook for her! Sorry, that probably didn't help.

But yeah, as someone else said, get gluten-free pasta and bread (although they taste like ****** compared to the real things). Rice is fine, umm try rice cakes? They're really low-calorie too. Umm, most vegitarian meals will be fine. Try recipes with lentils.

ReputationRep:
    Baked potatoes.

Vegetarian shepherd's pie (make it with Quorn mince and loads of veggies).

Wheat-free pasta (my mum's gluten intolerant, but I don't know if this is vegan) with veggie tomato-based sauces.

I think rice noodles are diary free but you'd have to check (you can make soup with vegetable stock, quorn/tofu pieces and lots of veggies again).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    why would it? I really really doubt that this is the case. You need to see a professional doctor/nutritionist.

The last time i was like this i cut out gluten and i was fine so i'm hoping its the same thing.
    The doctor would tell me to do exaclty the same thing, its what i was told last time so going to see one would be a complete waste of time.

I always find out i have new allergies or intolerances so its very likely it is the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    Baked potatoes.

Vegetarian shepherd's pie (make it with Quorn mince and loads of veggies).

Wheat-free pasta (my mum's gluten intolerant, but I don't know if this is vegan) with veggie tomato-based sauces.

I think rice noodles are diary free but you'd have to check (you can make soup with vegetable stock, quorn/tofu pieces and lots of veggies again).
    Quorn products aren't usually vegan as stupid as it sounds otherwise finding something too eat would be easy.

Soup sounds like a good idea, but its really difficult to cook with the cooker we have. It takes over half hour just to make pasta so i'm not sure about making soup on it!
    I'm not that keen on tofu, but if i'm hungry i'll eat anything.

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Quorn products aren't usually vegan as stupid as it sounds otherwise finding something too eat would be easy.

Soup sounds like a good idea, but its really difficult to cook with the cooker we have. It takes over half hour just to make pasta so i'm not sure about making soup on it!
    I'm not that keen on tofu, but if i'm hungry i'll eat anything.

Thanks for your help
    try TVP or tofu they are made from soya beans

but why isnt quorn as it is mycoprotiens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigail_92)
    try TVP or tofu they are made from soya beans

but why isnt quorn as it is mycoprotiens?

quorn has eggs in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda7719)
    quorn has eggs in it
    ohh right thanks for clearing that up

ReputationRep:
    My mam's got coeliac disease, so I'm used to seeing what she eats. The gluten free bread isn't really edible unless you toast it, since the gluten is what binds it together, so it just crumbles to bits and you choke on it. The cakes and biscuits are quite nice, I have to admit, but they can be pricey. Make sure you get plenty of fruit and veg, and meals like baked potato with a filling might get you by.

ReputationRep:

If you're willing to eat meat if you have to, then why not the eggs in quorn? (unless you're allergic to them too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda7719)
    quorn has eggs in it
    Really ?, I didnt know that. I"m allergic to egg by the way....but I"m not a veggie/vegan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Really ?, I didnt know that. I"m allergic to egg by the way....but I"m not a veggie/vegan.
    yeah i didn't know it either untill there was some thing about the veggie society not approving of quorn because they don't use free range eggs

ReputationRep:
    Crap something else I cant eat!!. I admit I do like quorn and really cant taste the difference between that and real mince.....actually real mince these days is vile and usually full of gristle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    My mam's got coeliac disease, so I'm used to seeing what she eats. The gluten free bread isn't really edible unless you toast it, since the gluten is what binds it together, so it just crumbles to bits and you choke on it. The cakes and biscuits are quite nice, I have to admit, but they can be pricey. Make sure you get plenty of fruit and veg, and meals like baked potato with a filling might get you by.
    Gluten-free bread isn't really that bad if you get the right one and heat it up before you use it. You'd have to be diagnosed with Coeliac before getting it on prescription. I get it free because I'm diabetic as well so dunno how much it is on prescription... But rice is about the cheapest natural gluten-free product for dinner. Tesco do gluten-free vegan food i think.

ReputationRep:
    i'm off gluten most of the time because I am intolerant to it. Tesco have a good range of their won brand stuff. The pizza base is good, so you can make you own. I recommend Terence Stamp bread, and Tru Free custard creams or cakes.

If you want to know more, just ask

ReputationRep:
    a big veggie curry!

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.