The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do with my life

I took 2 gap years, I got AAA in my A levels and started at university this year. I am not sure how employable my course is although it's Bsc I am considering studying something like physics or maybe even a degree apprenticeship but I don't want to take any more time out. Do you think it's worth switching at this stage? Thanks
If you’re unhappy doing the course you’re doing, then switch. Just make sure you get it right next time because otherwise you won’t have the choice to change your mind again sadly. Congrats on the amazing grades though :smile: x
Reply 2
Original post by lilbabypenguin
If you’re unhappy doing the course you’re doing, then switch. Just make sure you get it right next time because otherwise you won’t have the choice to change your mind again sadly. Congrats on the amazing grades though :smile: x

I'm not sure because I don't think it will affect my current career plans but in future it may do
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure because I don't think it will affect my current career plans but in future it may do

I’m sure you can discuss this with someone at your university. They have careers advisors/advisors in general to help you, and they’ll know what to do the most :smile: Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks for your help. I just don't know what to do anymore, I've made some stupid decisions
Original post by Anonymous
I am not sure how employable my course is.
I am considering studying something like physics or maybe even a degree apprenticeship but I don't want to take any more time out. Do you think it's worth switching at this stage? Thanks

What course are you doing right now which you consider questionable employable?
And what kind of employment or apprenticeship are you thinking of when you say you want an "employable" kind of course?

Beyond thinking about what's employable, it's worth thinking about what you enjoy. What are you interested in? is your current course something you're enjoying and are interested in (regardless of its employability). Because being employed in something you don't enjoy won't be a fun work life after uni. Ideally you want a balance of employability and interest / fun.
Reply 6
Original post by dardasiya
What course are you doing right now which you consider questionable employable?
And what kind of employment or apprenticeship are you thinking of when you say you want an "employable" kind of course?

Beyond thinking about what's employable, it's worth thinking about what you enjoy. What are you interested in? is your current course something you're enjoying and are interested in (regardless of its employability). Because being employed in something you don't enjoy won't be a fun work life after uni. Ideally you want a balance of employability and interest / fun.

Half of it relates to what I want to do, by employable wouldn't something like Physics/maths look better on my CV even though the grad schemes I am looking at require any degree. In terms of apprenticeships I have been looking at computer science and the big 4 apprenticeships, right now I am aiming to join the big 4. I would say I probably enjoy my current course but I don't know how it would look to employers. It's a mixed degree but I will primarily be studying Econ.

Quick Reply

Latest