Where have I gone wrong in my workings ?

Watch
seals2001
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 22.51.14.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 22.52.27.png
Views: 6
Size:  150.4 KB

It seems to follow similarly to the mark scheme with us both having the Integrand with a coefficient of 20.

But then we diverge and I arrive at a definite integral which gives me a decimal, unlike the mark-scheme..

Where have I gone wrong ?

Thanks.
Last edited by seals2001; 1 month ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by seals2001)
It seems to follow similarly to the mark scheme with us both having the Integrand with a coefficient of 20.

But then we diverge and I arrive at a definite integral which gives me a decimal, unlike the mark-scheme..

Where have I gone wrong ?

Thanks.
can we see the question please ? :holmes:
seals2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
can we see the question please ? :holmes:
Added it.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Added it.
you went wrong when you tried to integrate Θsin2Θ

if you need to integrate sin2Θ the standard method is to rewrite in terms of cos2Θ and integrate from there.
qweqworiet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where you went wrong is the integration of @[email protected] - you would have to do integration by parts again there.
But so much easier to change sin^[email protected] to 1/2-1/[email protected] and integrate that
seals2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
you went wrong when you tried to integrate Θsin2Θ

if you need to integrate sin2Θ the standard method is to rewrite in terms of cos2Θ and integrate from there.
Thank you
seals2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by qweqworiet)
Where you went wrong is the integration of @[email protected] - you would have to do integration by parts again there.
But so much easier to change sin^[email protected] to 1/2-1/[email protected] and integrate that
Thank you
seals2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by qweqworiet)
For this question, haven't they used the wrong bounds in the definite integral ?

I.e , shouldn't theta on top be 0 , and theta on the bottom be pi/4. ? NOT the other way around ? The value of theta when it is 0 gives the point further along the x axis.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 23.44.52.png
Views: 5
Size:  42.0 KB
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For this question, haven't they used the wrong bounds in the definite integral ?

I.e , shouldn't theta on top be 0 , and theta on the bottom be pi/4. ? NOT the other way around ? The value of theta when it is 0 gives the point further along the x axis.
You can swap the limits (but doing so reverses the sign of the integral). You can see this happen between the line starting "Area =" and the next line (in your original post).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (420)
56.68%
I don't have everything I need (321)
43.32%

Watched Threads