Have you got a job out of University? If so what was the salary?

Watch
Mohamed Idris
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone got a job after University? And if you have, what was the job and what range was your salary if you don’t mind disclosing the information with us, because I’m hearing things such as they average £30k and some financial jobs give up to £50k for graduates but then seeing jobs for graduates that give £22k?
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nurses, midwives, and allied health professionals have no option but to do a degree to work at that level (otherwise work as a support worker) and salary upon qualifying is 24k.
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
£24k? Is that a lot of money for someone with a degree? after tax you'd take home and after paying rent you basically have little to last the month :/
Last edited by Mohamed Idris; 1 month ago
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not classed as "a lot", but I definitely have more than "scraps" to live off each month. Add on antisocial hours pay, take off tax, pay my mortgage and bills, and even if I did that by myself I'd still comfortably be able to eat and have a life. My husband's on a similar pay and between us we've never missed a rent/mortgage payment, never missed paying a bill, never missed a meal, been able to afford having a life and always been able to afford a holiday - some of it is being sensible with money.
Philosopher2020
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
It's not classed as "a lot", but I definitely have more than "scraps" to live off each month. Add on antisocial hours pay, take off tax, pay my mortgage and bills, and even if I did that by myself I'd still comfortably be able to eat and have a life. My husband's on a similar pay and between us we've never missed a rent/mortgage payment, never missed paying a bill, never missed a meal, been able to afford having a life and always been able to afford a holiday - some of it is being sensible with money.
It helps if you have another employed person within the household to share the costs.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mohamed Idris)
£24k? Is that a lot of money for someone with a degree? after tax you'd take home and after paying rent you basically have scraps to last the month :/
Thats pretty much the median wage in the UK and for new grads.
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/news/18-06-20...hieved%2029%25.

Edit
Or at least it was pre pandemic...
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
I’m really sorry I thought you were telling me how much they earn not how much you earn. It’s certainly a lot of money I just thought for a graduate it’s less as I always hear graduates earn a median of 30k. Is there any pay bonuses as I might do it for University? and what University course did you do?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My first salary out of uni (quite a few years back now) was circa £19k. Not living in London and didn't drive so fairly easy to live off that.

There seems to be some mad expectation that everyone will walk into some graduate role. Never been true.

Edit: It was an entry level position at HSBC in case anyone thinks finance is some golden goose of a career.
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Thats pretty much the median wage in the UK and for new grads.
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/news/18-06-20...hieved%2029%25.

Edit
Or at least it was pre pandemic...
Thanks alot! I guess I was just being crazy unrealistic, I always hear graduates earn on average £9k more and stuff like that
tjames988
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It largely depends on what degree you do and what sector/ job you would want after university and what university you went to, some obviously pay more than others
https://www.graduate-jobs.com/gco/Bo...y-salaries.jsp
https://www.cityam.com/average-gradu...ubject-go-and/
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
My first salary out of uni (quite a few years back now) was circa £19k. Not living in London and didn't drive so fairly easy to live off that.

There seems to be some mad expectation that everyone will walk into some graduate role. Never been true.

Edit: It was an entry level position at HSBC in case anyone thinks finance is some golden goose of a career.
Seriously? I’ve always wanted to study Finance next year as I heard you can earn like 30k as soon as you start. What’s the job role?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone got a job after University? And if you have, what was the job and what range was your salary if you don’t mind disclosing the information with us, because I’m hearing things such as they average £30k and some financial jobs give up to £50k for graduates but then seeing jobs for graduates that give £22k?
I had a couple offers (from an engineering masters).
A financing tech job at £40K + bonus, an engineering grad scheme £28K and a funded PhD with a stipend.
I chose the PhD :laugh:
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I had a couple offers (from an engineering masters).
A financing tech job at £40K + bonus, an engineering grad scheme £28K and a funded PhD with a stipend.
I chose the PhD :laugh:
I guess it all comes down to preference
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seriously? I’ve always wanted to study Finance next year as I heard you can earn like 30k as soon as you start. What’s the job role?
First role was just a data entry monkey, (job market very poor when I left and found myself in a similar position as other graduates), then an account services clerk, then various roles relating to new applications, data integrity and eventually credit underwriting. None well paid

Competition for £30k starting salaries will be very tough, esp. with COVID and Brexit.
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
First role was just a data entry monkey, (job market very poor when I left and found myself in a similar position as other graduates), then an account services clerk, then various roles relating to new applications, data integrity and eventually credit underwriting. None well paid

Competition for £30k starting salaries will be very tough, esp. with COVID and Brexit.
I guess in the long run it helps, no one starts getting a good pay until they’re like 30 to be honest
h3110
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very few jobs pay £50k starting salary for fresh grads, but they do exist. These are jobs in front office high finance, strategy consulting at MBB firms, corporate law, and tech at FAANG companies. Extremely competitive even for people at target unis
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone got a job after University?
I did.

The salary I earned* (for the subsequent few years can be found here): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6026828; under Do you get paid during training?

*P.S. this is the salary before on-call supplement, so assume the actual figure is about 20-30% higher.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
tjames988
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You certainly can, but not all finance roles pay £30k and they are highly competitive
sanadtw3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

must have been back office. Only client facing roles get paid the big bucks
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
(Original post by tjames988)
You certainly can, but not all finance roles pay £30k and they are highly competitive
Thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads