urgent help needed about a level subjects

Watch
jemimabrown11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
doing maths, english lit, biology, and chemistry
was persuaded into medicine - parents honestly said if I didn't have a passion I should do it since it's employable etc and let me pick English, keeps options open as essay subject etc
I was reluctant but giving into the fact that medicine might be it and I'm not awful at science.

But I've decided I really like philosophy. I know you don't need philosophy a level or RS (that's all my school offers) - should I just stick with the sciences (I like English and Maths I can't see giving up since I find it useful and different)? it's a lot of work to catch up on RS if I pick it up now and drop 1/both sciences?

I don't really like the sciences find Bio boring and chemistry just meh. I could tolerate One and maths and English, definitely dropping one. So drop both and do RS - CATCH UP - or drop 1, no catch up, less interesting, read more to make up for it (interviews etc)?

That was really long winded but if I could have any advice please help I've asked a lot of people and they aren't being that helpful
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jemimabrown11)
doing maths, english lit, biology, and chemistry
was persuaded into medicine - parents honestly said if I didn't have a passion I should do it since it's employable etc and let me pick English, keeps options open as essay subject etc
I was reluctant but giving into the fact that medicine might be it and I'm not awful at science.

But I've decided I really like philosophy. I know you don't need philosophy a level or RS (that's all my school offers) - should I just stick with the sciences (I like English and Maths I can't see giving up since I find it useful and different)? it's a lot of work to catch up on RS if I pick it up now and drop 1/both sciences?

I don't really like the sciences find Bio boring and chemistry just meh. I could tolerate One and maths and English, definitely dropping one. So drop both and do RS - CATCH UP - or drop 1, no catch up, less interesting, read more to make up for it (interviews etc)?

That was really long winded but if I could have any advice please help I've asked a lot of people and they aren't being that helpful
Just drop Biol or Chem ...you could do an EPQ?
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above. No need to pick up a new subject, keep going with the ones you'll get strong grades in, and do an EPQ as well as continued wider reading around your interests - that will be perfectly suitable for going on to apply for a philosophy degree.
jemimabrown11
Rep:
?
thanks for all the answers

unfortunately it's not viable at all to do an EPQ because my school does EPQs in the first and second terms of yr 12.

I will just focus on doing lots of extra reading with the time saved from doing an EPQ and 4th subject and maybe some online courses
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you even want to do medicine? My dads a surgeon and he strongly recommends people not to go into medicine
jemimabrown11
Rep:
?
I don't anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads