The Student Room Group

GCSE grades for oxbridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Anonymous
You were close, but did you get in?

Nope

I'm applying this year lmao?? What are you talking about?
Sometimes the truth hurts.

I say it as it is. It’s unfair to just sit here and lie that X stands a chance in Oxbridge, when theres so many more people that have perfect stats and still get rejected.
If you don’t believe me (as much as TSR isn’t representative) it’s still a good indicator of what GCSE’s you need to get, have a flick through the Oxford thread, and also check the stats of how many A*’s a standard oxford applicant has. This isn’t a joke.
Original post by Mikos
I'm applying this year lmao?? What are you talking about?

Ok good luck to you..

Didn’t you say you got rejected?
Reply 84
Ok good luck to you..

Didn’t you say you got rejected?

No, when did I say that? And thank you
You don’t need straight A*’s to get into Cambridge, correct. You could get in with weak GCSE’s but strong A levels, but this isn’t as easy as you think.
A*A*A is the standard requirement, how realistic is it to jump from 7’s and 6’s at GCSE to A*’s at A level? It’s possible but requires some sort of work.

For Oxford, standard applicants have 11 A*’s the lowest being 8 A*’s minimum, anything less than this is on the verge of rejection (unless any extenuating circumstances)
Original post by Mikos
No, when did I say that? And thank you

Ahh, that’s a brave move. Hopefully you get accepted, do you have any extenuating circumstances? Low achieving secondary school also?
Reply 87
Ahh, that’s a brave move. Hopefully you get accepted, do you have any extenuating circumstances? Low achieving secondary school also?

I think you’re mixing up who you’re talking to😭 I got all A*s at GCSE.
I even know a few applicants with eleven grade 9’s and still scared to apply, due to the nature of how competitive it is.
Original post by Mikos
I think you’re confusing who you’re talking to😭 I got all A*s at GCSE.

Ohhh, okay. No problem. How many A*’s?
Reply 90
Ohhh, okay. No problem. How many A*’s?

9, as my secondary school made most people do 9 GCSEs.
The thing is with Oxbridge, grades aren’t the main point of consideration because most people will apply with grades vastly above average. A strong interview, personal statement and admissions test performance could 100% offset weaker GCSEs, especially where the student is, through their predictions, seeming to be on an upwards trajectory.

Do I think weaker GCSEs will make it harder? Yes. But I definitely don’t think it’s true that you need straight A*s to get in as an absolute requirement, especially after having seen freedom of information requests that show a lot of people get in without grades that high.
Original post by Mikos
9, as my secondary school made most people do 9 GCSEs.
The thing is with Oxbridge, grades aren’t the main point of consideration because most people will apply with grades vastly above average. A strong interview, personal statement and admissions test performance could 100% offset weaker GCSEs, especially where the student is, through their predictions, seeming to be on an upwards trajectory.

Do I think weaker GCSEs will make it harder? Yes. But I definitely don’t think it’s true that you need straight A*s to get in as an absolute requirement, especially after having seen freedom of information requests that show a lot of people get in without grades that high.

I never said that GCSE’s were the main consideration.

“GCSEs are seen as evidence of work ethic and you need a really strong one of those to cope with studying at Oxford or Cambridge. Our 'guesstimate' is that the average successful applicant has around eight A* GCSEs or 8/9 grades under the new system under their belt.”

https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Medicine-statistics-from-the-2019-admissions-round.pdf

The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8; this rose to 10.2 for those shortlisted and 10.8 for applicants receiving offers.
The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.78; this rose to 0.94 for those shortlisted and was 0.93 for applicants receiving offers.
The mean number of total GCSE qualifications offered (not including short courses or other GCSE-equivalent qualifications) was 10.1.
Decent, on the verge of rejection

I think you stand a chance, just smash your A levels, make sure your overall application is good

Alright, this is absolute BS.

you do not need straight A*s to get into oxford, GCSEs are a factor they take into account holistically. These GCSES are really strong, don’t worry.

I don’t know who Anonymous is but they seem to have blurred vision on how competitive Oxford really is, and what is focused on.
Original post by Mikos
So many people full of **** in this thread LOL
You do NOT need straight A*s to get into Oxbridge! Someone I was very close to got into Cambridge medicine this year with 9998877766
Indeed it does help to have a strong academic background, but if you're on an upwards trajectory with the right predicted grades then you have a decent shot at interview provided that the rest of your application is up to standard.

These GCSEs are most certainly not "on the verge of rejection".

THANK YOU. Thats what im trying to say!!! But so many people saying “you joking right” to people wanting to go Oxford. And Im saying how they are grades are actually good cause they want specific grades for specific subjects. Thats what I said DO NOT TRUST WHAT RANDOM PEOPLE SAYS TO YOU ON TSR! Anyways have a good day😂✨✨
Original post by jackson222
Alright, this is absolute BS.

you do not need straight A*s to get into oxford, GCSEs are a factor they take into account holistically. These GCSES are really strong, don’t worry.

I don’t know who Anonymous is but they seem to have blurred vision on how competitive Oxford really is, and what is focused on.

What if I have GCSE’s set: A*A*AABBBBCC with A* on Maths and English, but A*A*A* on A Levels and A* EPQ and a killer ps and a killer result on my exam for Uni? I wouldn’t have any chance of having an interview for oxford? Taking in consideration i did my GCSE with 0 knowledge of english as i just moved from spain to England when GCSE were happening so i didn’t understand what teachers were saying😂 and still got A* and As on History, Maths, English... no opportunity at all for me????
I would say go for it as it doesn't hurt to try. Better to try and get rejected than to not apply at all. Psst.. for law they only require a 4 in maths GCSE so it might be the same for english?
This thread is hilariously full of people that think having 3 A*’s at GCSE is competitive enough for Oxford, it’s embarrassing.

Your GCSE are an overall indicator of work ethic, correct?

Lets give some statistics for you...

Most applicants hold a broad range of GCSEs in both sciences and arts subjects. You should have top results - that is, a good proportion of A*s/9s/8s - for your application to be competitive. On average, our applicants hold around 80% of GCSEs grades at A* and have 8.5 A* grades - although successful applicants may have a higher proportion of A* and number of A*s than this.

Straight from their website at: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs/what-is-the-gcse-cut-off

Second :

For those shortlisted who had taken GCSEs, the mean number of A*s at GCSE was 10.2 and the mean proportion of A*s at GCSE was 0.94.
Let’s talk some statistics then, since no one is willing to understand that GCSE’s are a big factor for getting into Oxford (not the only factor, but big)

Oxfords message to underachieving applicants at GCSE :
“If you feel that you did less well in your GCSEs than you might otherwise have done, because of extenuating circumstances, you may still be able to make a competitive application.

Medicine :

The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8; this rose to 10.2 for those shortlisted and 10.8 for applicants receiving offers.

The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.78; this rose to 0.94 for those shortlisted and was 0.93 for applicants receiving offers.

The mean number of total GCSE qualifications offered (not including short courses or other GCSE-equivalent qualifications) was 10.1.

For those shortlisted who had taken GCSEs, the mean number of A*s at GCSE was 10.2 and the mean proportion of A*s at GCSE was 0.94.
Original post by Danibear_365
I would say go for it as it doesn't hurt to try. Better to try and get rejected than to not apply at all. Psst.. for law they only require a 4 in maths GCSE so it might be the same for english?

Nah for maths they want a 6 i already check. UCL,LSE wants a 6 on maths, University of Glasgow and University of Edinburgh wants an A for both GCSE English.
Can’t find statistical data for law but, standard applicants have A*A*A ( on average ) in

English literature, history and mathematics (respectively) so you’d expect a some what similar GCSE requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending