jgiff7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
if I started a Psychology course at UWE for example and after the first year wanted to transfer to computer science at a different university, say Cardiff, could I do that and still get student finance for the first year of the psychology course and the three years of computer science course? Would their be any repercussions of doing one year of Psychology and applying for Computer Science in 2022 if I realised it wasn’t the course for me?

I’d really appreciate getting filled in on any possible repercussions of deciding to switch after one year, I’m stressing out majorly about this and I can’t decide so any input is really appreciated
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
999tigger
Far as I'm aware you are allowed 1 throwaway year.
So, if you wanted to do psychology for 1 year you could still do a 3 year computer science course afterwards and recieve full funding.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Yes you get a gift/ insurance year, so you could start a course and quit after year 1 to start another course.

The question you need to ask yourself is considering you only get one gift year and its for exam failure or illness or unavoidable circumstances and as that gift year os going to be £15k-£20k, then is that a good use of your funding? Maybe a gap year would be cheaper or more financially astute?
You could do more research and get experience?

Psychology has one of the lowest average salaries for graduates 5 years after graduating. Be warned imo the market is pretty saturated.
jgiff7
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes you get a gift/ insurance year, so you could start a course and quit after year 1 to start another course.

The question you need to ask yourself is considering you only get one gift year and its for exam failure or illness or unavoidable circumstances and as that gift year os going to be £15k-£20k, then is that a good use of your funding? Maybe a gap year would be cheaper or more financially astute?
You could do more research and get experience?

Psychology has one of the lowest average salaries for graduates 5 years after graduating. Be warned imo the market is pretty saturated.
Thank you for the response I really appreciate it, I might take a year out and study a Psychology A level? But I really have no idea
jgiff7
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam271)
999tigger
Far as I'm aware you are allowed 1 throwaway year.
So, if you wanted to do psychology for 1 year you could still do a 3 year computer science course afterwards and receive full funding.
Would it be unlikely for me to be able to receive funding for a Masters degree if I want to do, 1 year of psych, dropout, 3 years of computer science - then a masters.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jgiff7)
Would it be unlikely for me to be able to receive funding for a Masters degree if I want to do, 1 year of psych, dropout, 3 years of computer science - then a masters.
I have never done a post grad degree so I am unsure on the funding.
But I do know that the funding for post grad degrees is different to a undergrad degree. So your talking about two different things. I dont see why it would effect it.

That being said going to university with the goal of dropping out is incredibly stupid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads