Make sure to reply back to your interview offer email!

Watch
shoreuss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello fellow applicants.

I wanted to create this thread because I almost made a catastrophic mistake that would have cost me my place at Oxford. In my excitement I overlooked the fact that in order to accept an interview offer you must email the college. I'm not sure if this is the same for all but in my email from HMC the following line is written:

"in order to accept this invitation from us, please email (college email)."

This is buried under a lot of information and after several lines saying an additional email will be sent with interview dates/times so it's easy to overlook.

Make sure you double check that you've replied and accepted your offers! Don't get over excited and be an idiot like me

Edit: I thought I'd have to send a confirmation email to them after they sent the second email with the dates and times. This is not the case.

Edit 2: The Google sheets form on here is not official. It is not run by Oxford. It's run by fellow applicants and is purely for fun. Answering this form does not mean you're officially accepting an interview.
Last edited by shoreuss; 1 month ago
anirudhp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shoreuss)
Hello fellow applicants.

I wanted to create this thread because I almost made a catastrophic mistake that would have cost me my place at Oxford. In my excitement I overlooked the fact that in order to accept an interview offer you must email the college. I'm not sure if this is the same for all but in my email from HMC the following line is written:

"in order to accept this invitation from us, please email (college email)."

This is buried under a lot of information and after several lines saying an additional email will be sent with interview dates/times so it's easy to overlook.

Make sure you double check that you've replied and accepted your offers! Don't get over excited and be an idiot like me

Edit: I thought I'd have to send a confirmation email to them after they sent the second email with the dates and times. This is not the case.

Edit 2: The Google sheets form on here is not official. It is not run by Oxford. It's run by fellow applicants and is purely for fun. Answering this form does not mean you're officially accepting an interview.
Well, thank you! I haven't got my email yet, but now this is gonna be the first thing I do XD
leop27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How are you guys gonna write this email? Are you meant to say thank you??
shoreuss
Rep:
?
(Original post by leop27)
How are you guys gonna write this email? Are you meant to say thank you??
Just write

"Dear X

I'm writing to accept the interview offer with X college.

Yours Sincerely,

X"

There's no use in overthinking it nor going on a long essay about how grateful you are, I guarantee the only person reading it will simply be some admin worker ticking off names to arrange interviews for. To put it simply, they really wont care ^^ if anything a long speech would be more annoying as they need to get through a lot of people haha.
leop27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you very much, definitely a case of me overthinking it lol
LouwimaBone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for this info! I too overlooked this confirmation aspect....until I re read the email. How long did it take to you to respond? I took a day due to my oversight and am now quite concerned!
shoreuss
Rep:
?
(Original post by LouwimaBone)
Thank you for this info! I too overlooked this confirmation aspect....until I re read the email. How long did it take to you to respond? I took a day due to my oversight and am now quite concerned!
It was 6 days before I noticed so as you can imagine, I'm terrified. Thankfully there was nothing in the email about a deadline so hopefully it wont be an issue. I can't claim it's unfair or the fault of the college as I should have been more careful. However, writing a bunch of statements in bold about an incoming second email and then writing about replying to this email after all the disability services info is not the best way to present the information in my opinion

On the upside, it seems that many people haven't received details of when their interview is yet, so I'm hopeful it's all being sorted as we speak. I will contact my college (HMC) again on Monday if I haven't heard back by then.
LouwimaBone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What a harrowing experience! I am sure it is okay....I am imagining many applicants will have made a similar oversight. Just reading the first sentence me stop in excitement...Thank you for sharing....and good luck on your interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.06%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.37%

Watched Threads