Making friends

Watch
KayngDxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I’ve been at university for about 2 months ,of which I’ve been in student accommodation for a little over a month. I’ve been able to make some friends on my course with relative ease which is what I expected. My relationship with my flatmates is calm but I having really clicked with a few of them(also kind of expected).

My problem is really when it comes to making friends outside of my course and my flat, I came to UNI without knowing a single person and I’m finding it really hard to make friends outside of my immediate environment(course and flat). Obviously things like clubs and societies would help but those are barely running because of COVID.

I’m sorry if this is super long but it’s starting to affect me mentally, it’s also so much more in my face because I’m in the dorm most of the time(due to lockdown) with the few flatmates that I’m not close with.

I know it’s unrealistic to be friends with everyone but making friends easily is a skill I really wanna develop. I’ve always made friends the easy way(school , course etc).

Also again I’m sorry if this is all over the place and long O_O
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KayngDxx)
Hi,

I’ve been at university for about 2 months ,of which I’ve been in student accommodation for a little over a month. I’ve been able to make some friends on my course with relative ease which is what I expected. My relationship with my flatmates is calm but I having really clicked with a few of them(also kind of expected).

My problem is really when it comes to making friends outside of my course and my flat, I came to UNI without knowing a single person and I’m finding it really hard to make friends outside of my immediate environment(course and flat). Obviously things like clubs and societies would help but those are barely running because of COVID.

I’m sorry if this is super long but it’s starting to affect me mentally, it’s also so much more in my face because I’m in the dorm most of the time(due to lockdown) with the few flatmates that I’m not close with.

I know it’s unrealistic to be friends with everyone but making friends easily is a skill I really wanna develop. I’ve always made friends the easy way(school , course etc).

I mean, you do already have friends... what's the need to make more?

I also came to university without knowing anyone, and I mean NO ONE. I'm on good terms with my flatmates, and have a couple friends in my course. I don't see why I would need to make friends with anyone else, especially since I'm usually so busy with coursework anyway.

Please, don't take this as rude, I'm just genuinely curious.
KayngDxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I mean, you do already have friends... what's the need to make more?

I also came to university without knowing anyone, and I mean NO ONE. I'm on good terms with my flatmates, and have a couple friends in my course. I don't see why I would need to make friends with anyone else, especially since I'm usually so busy with coursework anyway.

Please, don't take this as rude, I'm just genuinely curious.
Yh I see what you mean 😅 and no that’s not rude at all. Just wanted someone else’s opinion you know? Plus that point about course work is really good , I’m starting to get really busy so like you said I do already have friends (and I should be more grateful for the ones I do have). Thanks for your advice btw 😄
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

You don’t need to go anywhere else to make friends really because your mates on your course will be making friends with their flat mates and your flat mates will be making friends with people on their courses.

After the pandemic you’ll end up meeting plenty of new people through the friends you’ve already made anyway when everyone starts going out
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I’ll be your friend aha, I’m first year too
KayngDxx
Rep:
?
I’ll be your friend aha, I’m first year too
lol, thanks! What uni do you go to?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Find a hobby. As a expert in behaviour I know this is a great way of making friends.
KayngDxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Find a hobby. As a expert in behaviour I know this is a great way of making friends.
Yh I thought about that, but all the things I thought of trying like rock climbing, boxing, gym are all currently closed down. I also play basketball but the courts where I am are closed down as well. All my other hobbies are more virtual. I'm sure I'll be fine once things get closer to normal and I can actually properly go out meet new people and try new things.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
lol, thanks! What uni do you go to?
I go Aston in bham hbu?
KayngDxx
Rep:
?
I go Aston in bham hbu?
I go to Bournemouth University
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads