jjbbcc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I cant seem to find anything on this apart from US army who say most females periods stop due to the stress of basic.
However in UK are you allowed to take NSAIDs and natural remedies to help you get through painful cramps ?
I know birth control e.g. pill/implant are potential options but due to artificial hormones and their side effects like mood swings, weight gain, depression and anxiety it does not seem to best option.

What do most female recruits tend to do during basic training?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jjbbcc)
I cant seem to find anything on this apart from US army who say most females periods stop due to the stress of basic.
However in UK are you allowed to take NSAIDs and natural remedies to help you get through painful cramps ?
I know birth control e.g. pill/implant are potential options but due to artificial hormones and their side effects like mood swings, weight gain, depression and anxiety it does not seem to best option.

What do most female recruits tend to do during basic training?
Most take the pill. Just speak to your GP. You can take anything thats temporary and on a legit prescription.
beanstalkgirl_24
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
threeportdrift is correct - most opt to take the pill, although don't feel pressured into it. You'll be fine to take Ibuprofen etc, and if it is really painful, you could always go to the med centre to see if they'd prescribe you anything else.
I didn't hear of anyone's 'stopping' because of the stress of basic. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but you're not under that much intense stress for the entirety of the 10 weeks. Sure, there are elements that are stressful, but it's not like 24/7 pressure. There are elements which are more relaxed, and you do get weekends off later in the course (as long as your intake behaves!)
Hope that helps.
jjbbcc
Rep:
?
Thanks for the responses, I have been quite reluctant to go on the pill due to the possible side effects especially mood swings, anxiety and weight gain as I worry they could impact my training but equally the guarantee of less painful cramps would be a massive relief and I could stop taking it after the 10 weeks.
I think i will need to have a bit more of a think what is best for me as the GP only seems to want to put me on the cheapest generic branded pill and the family planning clinic were quite forceful about LARC.
jjbbcc
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaTango)
Have you used a pill before? It depends which one you are on some suit more than others. My wife is also serving and she had to try a couple before she found one that suited her better / didn’t impact her mood as much. Everyone is different - if you’re considering it for training I’d advise trialing before starting at Halton/Cranwell.
Thanks yes my plan was to try something for a few months before hand.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Something you could do is talk to your GP about finding the right pill for you and then taking packs back to back when you need to. This could give you three months with no periods while you complete Basic Training.

At HMS Raleigh, they hold Well Woman Clinics for female recruits who need advice on things like this; I'm sure that the RAF and Army offer the same.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't know many female recruits who took the pill for pain management, but there are those who do so to stop the inconvenience of periods during training, and it was actually briefed at the start of IOT as being acceptable. They don't want to be out somewhere during a major task and needing to change sanitary products.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
14.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (35)
24.82%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
43.26%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (21)
14.89%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.84%

Watched Threads