Bewildered mum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Advice please! My daughter would like to leave uninafter her first semester. Unite say we have to fill her place to avoid paying rent for an empty room for the rest of the year but gawd knows how we do that! Any advice on how to avoid a wasted year of fees would be appreciated. She was at Portsmouth (although home now) and thinking of restarting in Bath next autumn.
Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bewildered mum)
Advice please! My daughter would like to leave uninafter her first semester. Unite say we have to fill her place to avoid paying rent for an empty room for the rest of the year but gawd knows how we do that! Any advice on how to avoid a wasted year of fees would be appreciated. She was at Portsmouth (although home now) and thinking of restarting in Bath next autumn.
It's the price you pay for the decision she made.

She could have put up notes around the place, including the union; gone on social media etc. before leaving or spoken to various relevant people e.g. student accommodation. Now you will have to ask others to do these things.

Try the welfare officer at the Union and make sure student accommodation know the room is available. Perhaps offer a cash incentive or some sort of prize for taking on the room.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey Bewildered mum!

Unfortunately you do have to find someone to take over the room - otherwise you will have to continue paying the rent.
There are facebook groups called Portsmouth Student Housing and University of Portsmouth student housing - if you post it in here you may find someone to take over the room

But due to the nature of the year with teaching being online there is unfortunately no guarantee that someone will want to take over the room - but its worth a try

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Bewildered mum
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey Bewildered mum!

Unfortunately you do have to find someone to take over the room - otherwise you will have to continue paying the rent.
There are facebook groups called Portsmouth Student Housing and University of Portsmouth student housing - if you post it in here you may find someone to take over the room

But due to the nature of the year with teaching being online there is unfortunately no guarantee that someone will want to take over the room - but its worth a try

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Thank you 😊
accommodationforstudents.com
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, yes it is standard for student accommodation to do this. It is possible to re-let the room and a lot of post-grad students will be starting in January (as they have had a delayed start to the year) so you might be able to find someone to take the tenancy over. You can advertise the room for free here
https://www.accommodationforstudents...housemates.asp and also you can see which students are looking for a room in Portsmouth.
Bewildered mum
Rep:
?
(Original post by accommodationforstudents.com)
Hi, yes it is standard for student accommodation to do this. It is possible to re-let the room and a lot of post-grad students will be starting in January (as they have had a delayed start to the year) so you might be able to find someone to take the tenancy over. You can advertise the room for free here
https://www.accommodationforstudents...housemates.asp and also you can see which students are looking for a room in Portsmouth.
Thank you. We have someone interested but they are waiting for confirmation of their visa first. Fingers crossed!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.06%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.23%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.65%

Watched Threads