The Student Room Group

How do you deal with studying A-levels and BTECs?

Hi guys :wavey:

I know that studying a BTEC is a different experience than studying A-levels, bringing with it it's own set of difficulties and challenges.

But there are also loads of students who take both, who have to juggle the two different styles of qualifications, different schedules and somehow stay on top of everything!

I wanted to get in touch with students who are balancing A-levels and BTECs this year, or students who have done so in the past, and ask you to share your tips for other students who are studying both A-levels and BTECS.

Are there any specific tricks or tips for students to get the best out of both qualifications? Or maybe there is something you wish you knew when you were still at school that you want to share now?

We will be trying to collate your tips, so we can offer support for any students who are currently struggling and hopefully help get them through :smile: I'm going to tag people who have posted in the BTEC forum over the last month or so, I hope you guys don't mind

Reply 1
Original post by Evil Homer

Are there any specific tricks or tips for students to get the best out of both qualifications?

Yea, dont be lazy. Do the work.
Some of my tips:
Just remember that there is an end goal and to not give up on it.
There will be some hard periods and there will be some easy, you just have to get into the right mindset and you should be able to grit your teeth and just go for it
Don’t be complacent thinking BTEC is a walk in the park and don’t leave things to the last week

I know that studying a BTEC is a different experience than studying A-levels, bringing with it it's own set of difficulties and challenges.

But there are also loads of students who take both, who have to juggle the two different styles of qualifications, different schedules and somehow stay on top of everything!

I wanted to get in touch with students who are balancing A-levels and BTECs this year, or students who have done so in the past, and ask you to share your tips for other students who are studying both A-levels and BTECS.

Are there any specific tricks or tips for students to get the best out of both qualifications? Or maybe there is something you wish you knew when you were still at school that you want to share now?

We will be trying to collate your tips, so we can offer support for any students who are currently struggling and hopefully help get them through :smile: I'm going to tag people who have posted in the BTEC forum over the last month or so, I hope you guys don't mind

i did a levels and BTECs.
what i would really suggest those who are entering A- levels and betc is that :
1. they should start off by being careful with the people they hang around with. because if they end up having friend who just dont care about their eduation it will prevent them from actually focusing on theirs.
2. always make note in class, even the ones the teachers say do not write(some of those notes they say dont write provide lots of answers and help for assingmnets)
3. buy a notepad and design it with tick boxes(this it to write any assignments and see whats due and whats not), it also help give some time to go out with friend if youre on track.
4.always start your assignment as soon as it given(if they start their assignments or work early their memories will strat remebering notes from the lesson) ....warning!!! not to leave it later close tot he due date, because if you rush you loose marks or the point of the assignment/work(misread or miswrite words).
5. become friends with teacher, throguh communication, sharing stories, asking for guidance and help(always be honest with teacher- if you are they will DEFINETLY help you)
6.lastly. if you get bored during assignments or work, put some music on to boost moodup, light aromatic candles(be careful) or be on video call with friend and share knowledge together.

i hope this helps guys!!

and also dont forget to always be prepared for upcoming new things that may come in your ways and put your motivations doen, battle it!!!
:smile: bye xx
Original post by adam271
Yea, dont be lazy. Do the work.

damn savage ..hahah
I study A Level psychology and biology, and BTEC L3 National Foundation Diploma in Sport. During Summer I focused solely on BTEC work and completed all 5 units of coursework in that time, so I'd recommend working on BTEC work pretty much solidly during weekends and school holidays (especially rn because we can't exactly go out or anything so less distractions). Essentially, i did the whole BTEC course in 6 weeks and now just have 2 exam units in Jan which are no hassle at all. Just keep in frequent contact with ur teachers and have something to aim for which will motivate you.

I’m doing a business btec and re a level. For btec, you mainly have to stay on top of the work. Make sure you’re meeting all the deadlines. In regards to your work, make sure you’re meeting the success criteria for all the pass merit and distinction tasks. Stay on top of the work and I promise you will succeed! As for RE, I’d say that same. Because it’s an A level, you’re more likely to kinda fall behind coz it’s not like you have to stay dedicated with it and everything. Goodluck and I’m sure you’ll do amazing! (Feel free to dm me if you need any further help or advice or anything)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Listen to music, it REALLY helps because it makes me work really fast :smile:
im so dumb
Are there any specific tricks or tips for students to get the best out of both qualifications?

I'm currently doing A-Level Philosophy, A-Level Sociology, A-Level Psychology and BTEC health and social care. (all the social sciences :awesome: )

You need to have a revision timetable and you need to stick to it; on some days you could do your A-Level revision, and other days you could do your coursework/revising for your BTEC exam. For me personally, I would do my revision for my A-Levels from Monday-Thursday and then complete some of my coursework and revise for the BTEC exam from Friday-Sunday.

If you are doing coursework, DON'T procrastinate. Try to complete the coursework modules as early as possible, so then you could focus on revision later on and also tweak your coursework if you have to. :yep:
(edited 3 years ago)

for BTECS please do the improvements and dont let them pile on top as lockdown and my lack of an attention span is making me suffer right now also sometimes you will have to prioritise as you may not have time to complete your assignment if you have an assesment in an a level cos it is just as important

honestely from my experience i would never do something like it again as i have always hated coursework but GCSEs were too low lol
Original post by Aminah T
I'm currently doing A-Level philosophy, A-Level Sociology, A-Level Psychology and BTEC health and social care. (all the social sciences :awesome: )

You need to have a revision timetable and you need to stick to it; on some days you could do your A-Level revision, and other days you could do your coursework/revising for BTEC exam. For me personally, I would do my revision for my A-Levels from Monday-Thursday and then complete some of my coursework and revise for the BTEC exam from Friday-Sunday.

If you are doing coursework, DON'T procrastinate. Try to complete the coursework modules as early as possible, so then you could focus on revision later on and also tweak your coursework if you have to. :yep:

Health and social is so hard not to procrastinate lol im so behind with my improvements
Original post by claguem01
I study A Level psychology and biology, and BTEC L3 National Foundation Diploma in Sport. During Summer I focused solely on BTEC work and completed all 5 units of coursework in that time, so I'd recommend working on BTEC work pretty much solidly during weekends and school holidays (especially rn because we can't exactly go out or anything so less distractions). Essentially, i did the whole BTEC course in 6 weeks and now just have 2 exam units in Jan which are no hassle at all. Just keep in frequent contact with ur teachers and have something to aim for which will motivate you.

I agree but im doing health and social and applied business so it is x2 and i wish i was like you this summer lol i was blaming the heat why i could not do it
I'm doing A-level English Language, BTEC Business, and Health and Social.

Yes, the content for my BTECs is straight-forward but you really have to keep on top of your work. I always make sure that my improvements for coursework are done as soon as possible because if not, the amount of work you have to do is annoying, especially when you're studying unit after unit for your A-level subjects/ BTECs! I picked subjects I got good results in or enjoyed. (providing I got the results I needed) Another thing is, I resat GCSE maths last year, I'd recommend to any students wanting to juggle BTECS and A-levels, make sure you do the best you can for english and maths (at least pass) for GCSEs because it used to get quite stressful when I did my resits. It's not the end of the world if you fail though.

The main tip for me is, don't panic! Both my A-level and two BTECs have been very demanding at different points in the year. I've only got 2 more units to do for health and social and then I'm finished. With business, I've only got 2 exams and one more unit. This is so I can concentrate on my A-level and my Business exams.

Honestly, with BTEC, you just have to keep on top of it, if it ever gets stressful, I take it one step at a time! On those days I just note down what needs to be done first (in terms of due dates, etc) With both my A-level and BTEC, I make sure that I email teachers for any help needed. Also, always inform your teachers if you're struggling on a certain unit or bit of coursework, I've found that they're always willing to help. What's really motivating me now is that I've got a conditional offer from the university I applied to. Make sure there's always a goal to work for, even if it's just a deadline. :smile:
Reply 14

Hey
I'm studying A-level maths and bio aswell as BTEC business. One thing I'd say is course work takes the longest time and don't be complacent thinking it's easy..
I didn't work during year 1 (as) for my btec and ended up getting a merit meaning I have to work even harder this year to get a distinction in both the exam in Jan and course work for second half of the year. Just know its definitely manageable and when you've done it you'll have way more time for your other subjects. Once I've finished the exam in Jan I would have had only coursework left but I finished that during lockdown, meaning I have plenty of time for my 2 A levels which definitely reduces stress.
I do btec travel and tourism..and A level spanish :smile: I love Spanish so I’m finding it amazing

Quick Reply

Latest