Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently doing my personal statement and think that i have talked too much about things unrelated to my chosen degree (accounting), i have wrote a few paragraphs on being a prefect and house captain.

Should I try to focus more on stuff related to my degree?

Unfortunatly i couldnt do accounting at school, so the closest i get to this is maths or business studies.

Thanks.

P.S should i mention i am tutoring a 2nd year pupil maths??

:cool:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Every little helps.

It's good to have a balance between the academics and the other stuff. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes mention about the tutoring.

I would use a sentence or two for each of the prefect and house captain, its relevent as it shows your a active and responsible pupil.

ReputationRep:
    How 'bout a song about faeces?

ReputationRep:
    your prefect and house captian should be 2 sentences MAX. any more and youll look silly.

at least 2/3 should be on your "passion" for your degree. sooooooooo often i see people focus WAY too much on stuff they do unrelated to their degree. it doesnt take much space to tick the "well rounded" box. 1 paragraph should just about do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Every little helps.

It's good to have a balance between the academics and the other stuff. :p:
    Thanks,

(Original post by javjamoll)
    Yes mention about the tutoring.

I would use a sentence or two for each of the prefect and house captain, its relevent as it shows your a active and responsible pupil.
    Thanks,

(Original post by Snobpence17)
    How 'bout a song about faeces?
    Interesting oyu should say such a thing, i did consider writing my PS as a song.

To the tune of que sera sera:

Since i was just a little boy
    Ive loved accounting more than could be....

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    your prefect and house captian should be 2 sentences MAX. any more and youll look silly.

at least 2/3 should be on your "passion" for your degree. sooooooooo often i see people focus WAY too much on stuff they do unrelated to their degree. it doesnt take much space to tick the "well rounded" box. 1 paragraph should just about do it.
    Due to not being able to do my degree as a subject at school, my ability to write about passion for it has been limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    Thanks,

Thanks,

Interesting oyu should say such a thing, i did consider writing my PS as a song.

To the tune of que sera sera:

Since i was just a little boy
    Ive loved accounting more than could be....

:yep:
    That's even better. Must be hard to write about accounting, good luck with it.

But hey, it pays well

ReputationRep:
    Due to not being able to do my degree as a subject at school, my ability to write about passion for it has been limited.
    sorry but thats ******

just think what are your reasons for wanting to do the subject? what intrests you about it? how does it fit in with ambitions for the future? etc.

i am writing my PS at the momnet for a degree in Economics, which i also did not study A level but i have been able to write a decent amount about my passion for the subject. i am struggling more with the rest of it

EDIT: on second thoughts you want to do accounting you probably just want to be rich ...or am i just being cynical :P

(Original post by Snobpence17)
    That's even better. Must be hard to write about accounting, good luck with it.

But hey, it pays well
    Yes and No.. You have to be good to get anywhere - and that said; a degree at a 'good' university will open more doors = more chances at "higher pay"

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my personal statement and think that i have talked too much about things unrelated to my chosen degree (accounting),
    See, now I've just got Monty Python's accountancy shanty in my head. Do you also want to be a pirate? Because that would explain everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arianwen)
    See, now I've just got Monty Python's accountancy shanty in my head. Do you also want to be a pirate? Because that would explain everything.
    aye matey. < see as eye-patch rather than wink. :yep:

On a more serious note: What just happened?

ReputationRep:
    Tutoring - a definate yes, but house captain means virtually nothing to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arianwen)
    It's fun to charter an accountant, and sail the wide accountancy

ReputationRep:
    The important thing, at least as far as i know, is to show you are a well rounded person. They want to see a genuine (or at least a very well acted) enthusiasm for the subject you are applying to read but also notice you as an individual.

Any Extra Curicular activities you have done are good to mention, but it is best if you can try and apply many of them to your course. The teaching of people at maths suggests you are fairly good at it, something that would be good for an accounting coures and so forth.

ReputationRep:
    accounting isn't about the money. there are easier ways to make money...

if you are intelligent you can make alot in just about any field. and if you are less intelligent but have a way with people, management is the easy way to make a quick buck.

pretty sure that the financial sector is the key to the very intelligent making an extortionate amount of money.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.