shireen1212
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I did I pilot run of my experiment to figure out how many dilutions id need to do.Theres too many colonies to count.
My lab teacher said that I should do my swabbing (I will be swabbing from a tile that has been sprayed with a solution) and then plate that. Wait for colonies to grow and then dilute it. I was very confused because I was going to do the swabs and instead of plating it dilute it then and there about 3 times and then plate it.
I asked how how am I going to dilute the bacteria thats already on the plate and she said to get an inoculating loop which holds 10micro litres and put it into 10ml of water and then plate that. But im still confused how Im going to get bacteria off the plate? do I swab the inoculating loop onto hte plate and then put it into the water?
She then said to see how many colonies grow and then do the same again. I am very confusd on her method can someone elaborate and give step by step. I have already seen that theres a lot of colonies so Ill need to dilute it more than once. How do I do that with her method of the inocualting loop. I said that once I do the first dilution ill need to transfer 10mls into another test tube and she just said no I will repeat what she told me to do again??
Please keep it simple thanks
Jpw1097
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shireen1212)
So I did I pilot run of my experiment to figure out how many dilutions id need to do.Theres too many colonies to count.
My lab teacher said that I should do my swabbing (I will be swabbing from a tile that has been sprayed with a solution) and then plate that. Wait for colonies to grow and then dilute it. I was very confused because I was going to do the swabs and instead of plating it dilute it then and there about 3 times and then plate it.
I asked how how am I going to dilute the bacteria thats already on the plate and she said to get an inoculating loop which holds 10micro litres and put it into 10ml of water and then plate that. But im still confused how Im going to get bacteria off the plate? do I swab the inoculating loop onto hte plate and then put it into the water?
She then said to see how many colonies grow and then do the same again. I am very confusd on her method can someone elaborate and give step by step. I have already seen that theres a lot of colonies so Ill need to dilute it more than once. How do I do that with her method of the inocualting loop. I said that once I do the first dilution ill need to transfer 10mls into another test tube and she just said no I will repeat what she told me to do again??
Please keep it simple thanks
You need to be more specific in your methods. So you're going to spray E. coli onto a tile, you're going to swab the tile and then how are you going to plate this?
shireen1212
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Jpw1097)
You need to be more specific in your methods. So you're going to spray E. coli onto a tile, you're going to swab the tile and then how are you going to plate this?
Yes so spray onto tile, swab tile, then place swab into test tube with 10ml of distilled water, pick out 1ml and place into another test tube etc. This was my plan which I thought was fine.
Lab lady is saying something about swabbing it and then plating it directly, let the e.coli grow on plates and then somehow with an inoculating loopp get bacteria onto it frmo the plate and then dilute this. I dont know how to get bacteria onto the loop and then how to continue the dilutions after the first one. After she said this I said to her 'oh so once I put the inoculating loop into the test tube will I get a pippette and get 1ml out of the tube into another' she then said no and said I use another loop
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads