Still entitled to finance after three unfinished years?

Watch
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wonder if anyone can offer me advice on behalf of a younger acquaintance of mine.

I have a relative who has had a difficult time at University, and who has had to withdraw from their course for health reasons. However, they may be interested in returning in the future, possibly next academic year.

They were studying for a three year maths degree. Year one was successful, and the grades for that year were good. Problems developed in year two, which was not completed. After a year off on a placement, they had another go at year two, but this was also unsuccessful and they have now left their original university.

One possibility would be to transfer to another university to complete the course. However, they have now had three years of finance (successful first year and two unsuccessful attempts at the second year), and they would require two further years of finance to complete their degree. Is this finance still available to them? If not for the whole two years, is anything further available?

This is an English student, who was studying at a Welsh University, but who would transfer to an English University if possible.

Many thanks for any help.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pangol)
I wonder if anyone can offer me advice on behalf of a younger acquaintance of mine.

I have a relative who has had a difficult time at University, and who has had to withdraw from their course for health reasons. However, they may be interested in returning in the future, possibly next academic year.

They were studying for a three year maths degree. Year one was successful, and the grades for that year were good. Problems developed in year two, which was not completed. After a year off on a placement, they had another go at year two, but this was also unsuccessful and they have now left their original university.

One possibility would be to transfer to another university to complete the course. However, they have now had three years of finance (successful first year and two unsuccessful attempts at the second year), and they would require two further years of finance to complete their degree. Is this finance still available to them? If not for the whole two years, is anything further available?

This is an English student, who was studying at a Welsh University, but who would transfer to an English University if possible.

Many thanks for any help.
Hi, full time applicants can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

Please confirm the length of the new course?
Thanks, Isaac
Pangol
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, full time applicants can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

Please confirm the length of the new course?
Thanks, Isaac
There are a couple of options, but I think the most likely is that it would be a three year degree course. That is, it would be a three year course if starting from the beginning, we hope that the completed year can be carried over, so that only two years of study would be needed.

Thank you so much for your help.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are a couple of options, but I think the most likely is that it would be a three year degree course. That is, it would be a three year course if starting from the beginning, we hope that the completed year can be carried over, so that only two years of study would be needed.

Thank you so much for your help.
For a 3 year course the calculation we use will be 3+1-3 =1 year of funding. The student would have to self fund the first two years and would receive funding in the final year. If they are starting from the second year then they just need to self fund that year and should be funded for the final year.

If they have Compelling Personal Reasons then they could apply to receive funding, you can find out more information here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac
Pangol
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
For a 3 year course the calculation we use will be 3+1-3 =1 year of funding. The student would have to self fund the first two years and would receive funding in the final year. If they are starting from the second year then they just need to self fund that year and should be funded for the final year.

If they have Compelling Personal Reasons then they could apply to receive funding, you can find out more information here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac
Thanks very much for your help.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks very much for your help.
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (246)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (184)
42.79%

Watched Threads