eternalstudent21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have to choose between accepting an offer from Durham University or Newcastle University for PGCE Primary starting next year.

I'm not sure which to choose. Before the interviews I was dead set on Durham but after that interview I didn't feel very positive. I enjoyed the Newcastle interview a lot more and felt very upbeat afterwards.

When Newcastle made me an offer they followed it up immediately with an email containing feedback and were generally enthusiastic about me joining the course. I have not received a follow up email from Durham yet, despite having had their offer weeks ago.

I would appreciate any feedback from people who have chosen to study PGCE (primary specifically) at Durham or Newcastle Universities.

What is the course structure like?
What were your placements like and where? Were they flexible based on where you lived?
How communicative/approachable/helpful/supportive are the departments?
How much time was spent on curriculum knowledge?
What were the assignments structured like?
What were the facilities like?
Anything really! I am struggling to find information from past/present students.

Thank you!
amberrose13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can't offer an insight into what either course is like because I'm at another uni. But I have worked in schools, listened to teachers talk about their PGCE experience and Durham has a bad reputation for not being very supportive with a unnecessarily heavy workload even for a PGCE. I've also heard a few people who didn't enjoy their interview process with them too, finding them a bit off-putting. I could be totally wrong, this is hearsay. But it's why I decided not to apply to there.

I went to Newcastle's Open Days and was super impressed with them also. I decided not to interview with them because I had another offer and their placements were too far from me but I really got a good vibe from them.

Listen to people who've been to either uni, obviously, but from what I've heard, I would definitely go with Newcastle. Prestige isn't really a thing when it comes to PGCEs, so don't feel like you have to go to the 'better' ranked uni.
eternalstudent21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by amberrose13)
I can't offer an insight into what either course is like because I'm at another uni. But I have worked in schools, listened to teachers talk about their PGCE experience and Durham has a bad reputation for not being very supportive with a unnecessarily heavy workload even for a PGCE. I've also heard a few people who didn't enjoy their interview process with them too, finding them a bit off-putting. I could be totally wrong, this is hearsay. But it's why I decided not to apply to there.

I went to Newcastle's Open Days and was super impressed with them also. I decided not to interview with them because I had another offer and their placements were too far from me but I really got a good vibe from them.

Listen to people who've been to either uni, obviously, but from what I've heard, I would definitely go with Newcastle. Prestige isn't really a thing when it comes to PGCEs, so don't feel like you have to go to the 'better' ranked uni.
Thank you for your insight. That reinforces what I was already thinking/feeling and it's nice to know I wasn't going crazy with the interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.97%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (122)
28.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.83%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.07%

Watched Threads