T.W.R.22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have applied for History and Politics at Clare's and I'm wondering what preparation others are doing for the up and coming admissions test. I've been going through HAT past papers on the Oxford website but I don't feel like that is enough. Any suggestions on material out there that can be of help?
YaGorl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by T.W.R.22)
I have applied for History and Politics at Clare's and I'm wondering what preparation others are doing for the up and coming admissions test. I've been going through HAT past papers on the Oxford website but I don't feel like that is enough. Any suggestions on material out there that can be of help?
hii maybe link this thread onto the cam applicants thread so more people will see it x
sxphie.webber
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by T.W.R.22)
I'm doing the HAA for History at St John's tomorrow. I've been doing the same thing and looking up techniques/approaches. I don't think there's too much more we can do and I don't think they're expecting too much prep. Just hoping that the arguments in the texts are easy enough to understand and compare. Good luck!
frogface_007
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
good luck
frogface_007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my structure if someone sees this in time is

intro summarising both sources and common themes of divergent themese
paragrpah 1 - theme 1
paragraph 2 - theme 2
paragrpah 3 - theme 3
paragrpah 4 - provanance differences
paragrpah 5 is conclusion
T.W.R.22
Rep:
?
(Original post by sxphie.webber)
I'm doing the HAA for History at St John's tomorrow. I've been doing the same thing and looking up techniques/approaches. I don't think there's too much more we can do and I don't think they're expecting too much prep. Just hoping that the arguments in the texts are easy enough to understand and compare. Good luck!
I think most of us are approaching this in a similar way which is good. Good luck anyway
T.W.R.22
Rep:
?
(Original post by frogface_007)

paragrpah 1 - theme 1
paragraph 2 - theme 2
paragrpah 3 - theme 3
That's more or less the structure I'm going with. I've seen some people say they don't expect an intro/conclusion but I think including them sets up and finishes off the argument nicely. Good luck for today
lily1806
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did everyone find it?
Bleorgia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lily1806)
How did everyone find it?
Better than I thought actually, I managed to finish in time and the sources weren’t too bad for me but I think I at times I could’ve gone further. Did Moodle crash for anyone else at the beginning?
frogface_007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What points did you write about?
Last edited by frogface_007; 1 month ago
frogface_007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tbh it wasn't that bad but i just though that i could have written more but the time pressure got to me and moodle crashed at the beginnign anyways so
lily1806
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What points did you write about?
My main two themes were: religion and class. I explored them in both extracts and used provenance within both. And i did an intro and conclusion ofc.
frogface_007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
class? interesting for me it was how its viewed socially and the effects of tobacco on people - -it said something about that if people spent less on tobacco and more on books from king jamesy itd benefit them
lily1806
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
class? interesting for me it was how its viewed socially and the effects of tobacco on people - -it said something about that if people spent less on tobacco and more on books from king jamesy itd benefit them
Yeah in terms of class like, in the first extract, the common people used tobacco as a form of relief, from their lives. It said they were "shattered" or something like that. And in the second one, the influence of people with high status like James I in affecting the usage of tobacco, compared to the first extract which was written by a shoemaker. Idk I think there are lots of ways you can approach it.
frogface_007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yhyh no i wrote about king james vs shoemaker
sxphie.webber
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually studied the Quakers yesterday as part of my History A level so I think it well because I had some helpful prior knowledge. Best of luck for interviews everyone!!
Rafi G
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

paragrpah 1 - theme 1
paragraph 2 - theme 2
paragrpah 3 - theme 3
Did anyone else struggle to find any thematic overlap between the two extracts?
lily1806
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sxphie.webber)
I actually studied the Quakers yesterday as part of my History A level so I think it well because I had some helpful prior knowledge. Best of luck for interviews everyone!!
you're not supposed to use own knowledge though
frogface_007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah they make that quite explicit
frogface_007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rafi G)
Did anyone else struggle to find any thematic overlap between the two extracts?
Yup oh well what’s done is done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads