Feeling guilty about missing university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in my first year of university. I have attended every lecture and am ahead on my assignments. However, I have experienced bad news. My nana has terminal cancer and probably won’t make it to Christmas and my other grandfather had a heart attack. Not only that; but I found out that my little sister won’t be able to make it into main stream school as she is not able to process information and is extremely behind on her learning. (Not because she hasn’t gone but because she struggled with taking on board infomation)

Anyway, I was supposed to be in university today. But asked if I could join online instead due to the fact I have to pick my grandmother up from hospital. Even though I have been joining online I haven’t taken in any of the information due to my head being so fried and ‘in the shed.’

But because I am not taking in the information I am missing it completely and feel extremely guilty.

I guess this post is for some clarification that it’s okay to take a break today considering the events.
username5490332
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s okay. Everyone misses learning at some point, just use today to calm yourself down and focus on everything else apart from uni x
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by lilbabypenguin)
It’s okay. Everyone misses learning at some point, just use today to calm yourself down and focus on everything else apart from uni x
Thank you. Think I needed to hear someone else say it. Just get incredible guilt otherwise x
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
First year is rather irrelevant in terms of education and even less so in terms of weighting.

Focus on your issues, turn your guilt into happiness if possible.

Best wishes x
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am currently in my first year of university. I have attended every lecture and am ahead on my assignments. However, I have experienced bad news. My nana has terminal cancer and probably won’t make it to Christmas and my other grandfather had a heart attack. Not only that; but I found out that my little sister won’t be able to make it into main stream school as she is not able to process information and is extremely behind on her learning. (Not because she hasn’t gone but because she struggled with taking on board infomation)

Anyway, I was supposed to be in university today. But asked if I could join online instead due to the fact I have to pick my grandmother up from hospital. Even though I have been joining online I haven’t taken in any of the information due to my head being so fried and ‘in the shed.’

But because I am not taking in the information I am missing it completely and feel extremely guilty.

I guess this post is for some clarification that it’s okay to take a break today considering the events.
I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your family- sending hugs and support your way!

Please don't feel guilty about not joining in person or struggling to take information in! It's totally valid and okay to have an off-day or week or even longer. I really think you should contact your student support services and see if there are any resources available to help you. They might be able to get you extensions on deadlines or further support from tutors.

If you're comfortable doing so I would also let your tutors know that you and your family are going through a tough time at the moment so they don't view any potential online attendance or change in learning in the wrong way. I experienced something similar to you during my second year of university and telling my tutors meant that they understood why if I wasn't engaging as normal, and that was never put on the spot on my quieter days in class. They also offered to support me if I ever needed it and checked in on me to make sure I was okay.

Given that you're feeling absolutely fried, I'd just take the next few days off and do something that relaxes you so you can have a 'reset'. It's important to look after yourself too

Lucy
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should really speak to your tutor if you think it’s going to impact your studies in a significant way. Please don’t feel guilty because you have enough problems and this is beyond your control.
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Never feel bad for needing to take a break, even if it means that you may get a little bit behind in your work. Sometimes we are thrown curve balls in our life that need to be taken care of but do not feel bad for putting personal problems at the forefront of your life. My deepest condolences for your nan but if you want to utilize your time right now by being with her as much as possible, then do so and do not worry about other things. Your studies will not go anywhere!

Toni,
Student Ambassador
UELStudentRep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
You are going through a hard time and it is ok to take some time if you need it, your health is very important!
I wish you the best 😊
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hey Anonymous,

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this.
You shouldn't feel bad at all for taking a break you clearly need one! I would recommend looking at your universities support. You might be able to get some counselling with them which can help you tackle your problems. Just a reminder though, you've clearly been doing absolutely amazing so far and missing one day of university so far is actually really good!

Hope this helps you out and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!😊
From,

Amina
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (253)
57.11%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.89%

Watched Threads