do we choose our own modules??

Watch
seerah10
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm on my university of the choice page and I'm seeing the compulsory modules, am I going to be doing exactly them or can I choose my own when I start?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the course, but there is generally a mix of compulsory core modules and optional modules you have some choice in.
seerah10
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
It depends on the course, but there is generally a mix of compulsory core modules and optional modules you have some choice in.
yea first year there are 7 compulsory topics. The second and third have optional modules alongside compulsory.
so for the first year can I pick other things if the compulsory topics seem boring?
'
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, compulsory means you have to do them, they are an essential part of the overall course award

Again, it might depend on the course, but you might not have any optional modules/choice in 1st year, I didn't and I think that's common.

Oh, and as 2nd point, sometimes a unit or module being listed as 'optional' can cause a bit of confusion as it can mean it's optional for the Uni or College whether they use it, the student doesn't get a say.
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by seerah10)
I'm on my university of the choice page and I'm seeing the compulsory modules, am I going to be doing exactly them or can I choose my own when I start?
Hiya!

Usually in first year all of your modules are pre set. However, in February time you will be able to select your modules for the following year. You will have core modules but you can then select 2-4 modules that will be optional. The number will vary depending on how many core modules are pre selected for you.

Sam- Official Student Rep
seerah10
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
No, compulsory means you have to do them, they are an essential part of the overall course award

Again, it might depend on the course, but you might not have any optional modules/choice in 1st year, I didn't and I think that's common.

Oh, and as 2nd point, sometimes a unit or module being listed as 'optional' can cause a bit of confusion as it can mean it's optional for the Uni or College whether they use it, the student doesn't get a say.
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hiya!

Usually in first year all of your modules are pre set. However, in February time you will be able to select your modules for the following year. You will have core modules but you can then select 2-4 modules that will be optional. The number will vary depending on how many core modules are pre selected for you.

Sam- Official Student Rep
also, is there a chance one of the compulsory modules may change to another? e.g for a history degree one of the modules is 'russia and its rulers'. when you start could it be replaced with 'nazi germany'?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also, is there a chance one of the compulsory modules may change to another? e.g for a history degree one of the modules is 'russia and its rulers'. when you start could it be replaced with 'nazi germany'?
Compulsory modules are just that : compulsory.

Which degree are you looking at? Which university?
seerah10
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Compulsory modules are just that : compulsory.

Which degree are you looking at? Which university?
theology philosophy at newman university. the modules are alright, its focused more on religion than philosophy. i'm also applying for uob but i'll probs miss their entry requirments.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm largely guessing, but I wouldn't expect so. I think changes and updates to core modules tend to have a few years notice, i remember seeing different notes like that in my prospectus 'X module will be replaced with Y from 2022' ect.

For all I know about History degrees they might rotate the periods of history they cover though *shrug*
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
theology philosophy at newman university. the modules are alright, its focused more on religion than philosophy. i'm also applying for uob but i'll probs miss their entry requirments.
Looking at the theology and philosophy at Newman, yes all the first year modules are compulsory.
Only the ones that say optional give you a choice in what you do.

Same with UoB -the ones that say compulsory have to be taken.

Both say that modules are open to be changed depending on availability so it’s a possibility that the compulsory modules change year to year.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 month ago
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi seerah10
At my university on my course we had to do compulsory modules ! Technically there was more compulsory in the first year to get us all up to the same level of understanding ! But my other years have consisted of some compulsory and some optional module choice ! However this really depends on the course you are taking so it can different for anyone/ each university and this is just my experience !
Good look at university
Lancaster University student ambassador Holly
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will likely have both.
Core compulsary ones and supplementary optional modules.
Not always but typically first year has quite a high proportion of compulsory modules and you get more flexibility and options as you progress through the degree.
Angela1001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi seerah10
At my university on my course we had to do compulsory modules ! Technically there was more compulsory in the first year to get us all up to the same level of understanding ! But my other years have consisted of some compulsory and some optional module choice ! However this really depends on the course you are taking so it can different for anyone/ each university and this is just my experience !
Good look at university
Lancaster University student ambassador Holly
Depending on your course, you may have to do some "compulsory" modules aside from the set modules. EG If doing conputing and AI you will have to do the AI modules which may be optional to other students.
BabyStitch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You often have a choice of cross disciplinary modules from 2nd year onwards. It depends on the course however but most degrees have elements of choice on what you take.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (82)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.41%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (165)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (55)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
2.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed