rj1.706
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am in Year 10 and I have done a few tests now. The sad thing is that I am getting low scores and grades. I revise properly and even get 100% on practice papers. However when I am in the exam, I start to panic on timings and I stress out. This mainly happens in Maths and English. How can I stop panicking during little end of topic tests and focus! I have 4 tests next week and I would love some help and support. Thank you x
Last edited by rj1.706; 1 month ago
sunshine1243
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya. I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this. Exams are really stressful and I completely understand. I finished school in the summer so I’ve been through three lots of exams. I used to do the same thing, get really high test results until there was pressure and then I’d panic and fail the actual tests. A really good trick is learned is to completely forget about the paper (just for two minutes!! I promise you will have time for it!!) and look around the room. I’d count five things I could see, four things I can feel, three things I can hear and two things I could smell (taking deep breaths the whole time!). It may not work for you, but it really helped me to ground myself and calm my breathing and my mind down, before I even opened the paper. Another thing that helped me is something called box breathing. This is where you breath in for four seconds, hold your breath for four seconds, breath out for four seconds, hold it out for four seconds and then repeat. It slows your heart rate down which is calming.

These things may be no help at all but I will watch this thread and you can let me know and I’ll see if I’ve got any other tricks up my sleeve. As a school survivor I am sooo happy to help and support you because school is hard! I hope that you can find peace during exams darling!
J x
rj1.706
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunshine1243)
Hiya. I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this. Exams are really stressful and I completely understand. I finished school in the summer so I’ve been through three lots of exams. I used to do the same thing, get really high test results until there was pressure and then I’d panic and fail the actual tests. A really good trick is learned is to completely forget about the paper (just for two minutes!! I promise you will have time for it!!) and look around the room. I’d count five things I could see, four things I can feel, three things I can hear and two things I could smell (taking deep breaths the whole time!). It may not work for you, but it really helped me to ground myself and calm my breathing and my mind down, before I even opened the paper. Another thing that helped me is something called box breathing. This is where you breath in for four seconds, hold your breath for four seconds, breath out for four seconds, hold it out for four seconds and then repeat. It slows your heart rate down which is calming.

These things may be no help at all but I will watch this thread and you can let me know and I’ll see if I’ve got any other tricks up my sleeve. As a school survivor I am sooo happy to help and support you because school is hard! I hope that you can find peace during exams darling!
J x
Thank you so much, I already feel calm after reading this! I really appreciate your help and I will definitely try this on Monday!!!!!!!!!!
sunshine1243
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rj1.706)
Thank you so much, I already feel calm after reading this! I really appreciate your help and I will definitely try this on Monday!!!!!!!!!!
Please let me know how it goes, I will be thinking of you on Monday and hoping it goes well! Good luck. You can do this.
J x
T 2004
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rj1.706)
Hi, I am in Year 10 and I have done a few tests now. The sad thing is that I am getting low scores and grades. I revise properly and even get 100% on practice papers. However when I am in the exam, I start to panic on timings and I stress out. This mainly happens in Maths and English. How can I stop panicking during little end of topic tests and focus! I have 4 tests next week and I would love some help and support. Thank you x
Hiya,

I found that breathing helps, rationalising with myself about the coming exam. I am a year 11 now, and trust me buddy, you can do this!!!! If you are getting 100% in past papers, then there is nothing to worry about I would say. Just remind yourself of that. In english, I faced the same problem, the questions are longer with more marks assigned to each. Sadly I still struggle with it, as do all of my friends. But I would say, just rationalise with yourself, it really depends on whenyou are anxious and stressed, before, or during?

For maths, I find that doing all of the questions for one style of question works well, doing the ones you are confident with first helps diminish your sense of fear. For example, I try to turn my anxiousness into excitement, to convince myself that I am just thrilled to be taking this exam. For instance, I will often do all trigonometry first, then algebraic equations. By doing my preferred bits first, I can feel better about the timings.

Hope this Helps, and best of luck!

Tom
rj1.706
Rep:
?
(Original post by T 2004)
Hiya,

I found that breathing helps, rationalising with myself about the coming exam. I am a year 11 now, and trust me buddy, you can do this!!!! If you are getting 100% in past papers, then there is nothing to worry about I would say. Just remind yourself of that. In english, I faced the same problem, the questions are longer with more marks assigned to each. Sadly I still struggle with it, as do all of my friends. But I would say, just rationalise with yourself, it really depends on whenyou are anxious and stressed, before, or during?

For maths, I find that doing all of the questions for one style of question works well, doing the ones you are confident with first helps diminish your sense of fear. For example, I try to turn my anxiousness into excitement, to convince myself that I am just thrilled to be taking this exam. For instance, I will often do all trigonometry first, then algebraic equations. By doing my preferred bits first, I can feel better about the timings.

Hope this Helps, and best of luck!

Tom
Thank you there are some good strategies in there that I definitely will be trying! I feel more relaxed just reading your tips !! Thank you once again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (84)
18.71%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (126)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (166)
36.97%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (59)
13.14%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed