Provisional vs. Full Registration with GMC (EU to UK, after graduation)

Watch
Rocky Mt Rd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello folks; I'm looking for some help please.

* I am a non-EEA/non-UK citizen
* Looking to study Medicine (2021 start) within the EU
* This is typically a 6-year course in medicine, with the final year having a 12 month "internship"
* Afterwhich I hope to practise in the UK

There seems to be two ways to enter the UK, as a medical graduate from the EU:
(#1) Provisional Registration, or
(#2) Full Registration

I have come across this section on the GMC's website that specifies which countries allow for entry through either route #1 (e.g. Italy, Poland) or route #2 (e.g. Czech Republic, Bulgaria) and will be using this to shortlist the countries for university selection.

However, I am unclear on what the difference is between route #1 and #2.

Specifically, is route #1 an entry into the UK's Foundation Year 1 or 2 programme after completion of my graduate degree? And is route #2 entry into a NHS hospital directly for work? I assume I will need a number of years' work experience for route #2? Whereas route #1 would require no field-work experience, and I could simply use my diploma to apply through the GMC, after completing the PLAB?

Would be grateful for any input/pointers/guidance!

Many thanks,
RMR
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rocky Mt Rd)
Hello folks; I'm looking for some help please.

* I am a non-EEA/non-UK citizen
* Looking to study Medicine (2021 start) within the EU
* This is typically a 6-year course in medicine, with the final year having a 12 month "internship"
* Afterwhich I hope to practise in the UK

There seems to be two ways to enter the UK, as a medical graduate from the EU:
(#1) Provisional Registration, or
(#2) Full Registration

I have come across this section on the GMC's website that specifies which countries allow for entry through either route #1 (e.g. Italy, Poland) or route #2 (e.g. Czech Republic, Bulgaria) and will be using this to shortlist the countries for university selection.

However, I am unclear on what the difference is between route #1 and #2.

Specifically, is route #1 an entry into the UK's Foundation Year 1 or 2 programme after completion of my graduate degree? And is route #2 entry into a NHS hospital directly for work? I assume I will need a number of years' work experience for route #2? Whereas route #1 would require no field-work experience, and I could simply use my diploma to apply through the GMC, after completing the PLAB?

Would be grateful for any input/pointers/guidance!

Many thanks,
RMR
It won't be the PLAB when you graduate, and we don't have certainty what will happen but it is most likely that you'll have to sit the UKMLA.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.75%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
29.02%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (157)
37.65%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.47%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.12%

Watched Threads