Personal Statement for Widening Access

Watch
kira_r
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I've written my personal statement already, but I recently found out that for one of the courses I'm applying to, it requires that I must add to my personal statement any under-represented groups that I am in (e.g. military family, disabilities, etc.).

I am not too sure on how to do this naturally as I don't want my other uni choices to misunderstand. If anyone has an idea don't hesitate to tell me bc I'm stuck Thank youu
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kira_r)
Hi,
I've written my personal statement already, but I recently found out that for one of the courses I'm applying to, it requires that I must add to my personal statement any under-represented groups that I am in (e.g. military family, disabilities, etc.).

I am not too sure on how to do this naturally as I don't want my other uni choices to misunderstand. If anyone has an idea don't hesitate to tell me bc I'm stuck Thank youu
That's really bizarre, most unis do widening access stuff based on things you put elsewhere in the UCAS form, or maybe at a push things in your reference. How exactly do they want you to refer to it? Unis are usually understanding with things that aren't relevant to other unis and ask for it in some other form (e.g. an extra form or something).
kira_r
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Interea)
That's really bizarre, most unis do widening access stuff based on things you put elsewhere in the UCAS form, or maybe at a push things in your reference. How exactly do they want you to refer to it? Unis are usually understanding with things that aren't relevant to other unis and ask for it in some other form (e.g. an extra form or something).
That's what I thought as well, but I emailed the uni just in case and they confirmed that I had to add it into my personal statement. Not too sure how I'm meant to do it tho.

Would it be weird if just blatantly wrote that I belong to X group? Thanks
redoubtable
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kira_r)
That's what I thought as well, but I emailed the uni just in case and they confirmed that I had to add it into my personal statement. Not too sure how I'm meant to do it tho.

Would it be weird if just blatantly wrote that I belong to X group? Thanks
that sounds odd...maybe you could just put 'being .../part of x group has shown me...' :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads