hannah172
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have two offers from Sutton Coldfield A level centre and Solihull sixth form for chemistry, biology and psychology. I cant seem to decide which option would be best for me to start my A levels, does anyone have any personal experience with either school?
Harl1403
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hannah172)
Hi, I have two offers from Sutton Coldfield A level centre and Solihull sixth form for chemistry, biology and psychology. I cant seem to decide which option would be best for me to start my A levels, does anyone have any personal experience with either school?
Hey,
I currently am a second year student at Sutton Coldfield a level centre. I came here after re starting my a levels from attending sixth from in a grammar school and the first thing I have to say is I get on so so so SO much better here than I did there!

The atmosphere there is amazing, people are friendly others keep to themselves. You can mix but you tend to stay within your classes so you make really close friends espocwlly if you have more than one class. The teachers are super friendly and are really really supportive especially for the subjects you have chosen.

I would not be where I am without this college. They have pushed me into things I didn’t think where possible after restarting. I’m going to university to study law and I’ve applied to Oxford from here! My predicted grades are A*AAA - I take law, sociology, history and politics.
I honestly couldn’t recommend this place enough (based from my own experience).

I’ve had some health issues especially the start of last year, just a month in I got appendicitis. The college were a back bone to me. Provided me all my work I needed with extra support, gave me enough time off to recover and didn’t once say my attendance was too low and provided my universities with a detailed explanation. During the pandemic the classes have been on line and it’s not changed the teachers attitudes classes still start at 10am sharp and they still push you to achieve the most. I’ve literally not had a bad experience here once. I actually love the place!

Of course this is my own experience and someone else may tell you something completely different but it’s the same absolutely anywhere you go - I hated the grammar school other people can’t say a bad word about them!

Maybe make a pro and con list to both options and weigh up the one you thinks best for you

Any questions though I’ll be happy to answer, good luck with your studies!
hannah172
Rep:
?
Hey! Thank you so much for your reply, it’s genuinely helped me to move towards a decision.

I was wondering- does Sutton offer the option for an EPQ? I haven’t found anything about it on the website or online so I wasn’t quite sure.

Thank you
hannah172
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harl1403)
Hey,
I currently am a second year student at Sutton Coldfield a level centre. I came here after re starting my a levels from attending sixth from in a grammar school and the first thing I have to say is I get on so so so SO much better here than I did there!

The atmosphere there is amazing, people are friendly others keep to themselves. You can mix but you tend to stay within your classes so you make really close friends espocwlly if you have more than one class. The teachers are super friendly and are really really supportive especially for the subjects you have chosen.

I would not be where I am without this college. They have pushed me into things I didn’t think where possible after restarting. I’m going to university to study law and I’ve applied to Oxford from here! My predicted grades are A*AAA - I take law, sociology, history and politics.
I honestly couldn’t recommend this place enough (based from my own experience).

I’ve had some health issues especially the start of last year, just a month in I got appendicitis. The college were a back bone to me. Provided me all my work I needed with extra support, gave me enough time off to recover and didn’t once say my attendance was too low and provided my universities with a detailed explanation. During the pandemic the classes have been on line and it’s not changed the teachers attitudes classes still start at 10am sharp and they still push you to achieve the most. I’ve literally not had a bad experience here once. I actually love the place!

Of course this is my own experience and someone else may tell you something completely different but it’s the same absolutely anywhere you go - I hated the grammar school other people can’t say a bad word about them!

Maybe make a pro and con list to both options and weigh up the one you thinks best for you

Any questions though I’ll be happy to answer, good luck with your studies!
Hey! Thank you so much for your reply, it’s genuinely helped me to move towards a decision.

I was wondering- does Sutton offer the option for an EPQ? I haven’t found anything about it on the website or online so I wasn’t quite sure.

Thank you
umi.x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey i’ve also received offers from both colleges and chosen the exact same alevels and personally i’m moving more towards sutton coldfield despite none of my friends attending there, because it’ just has better opportunities and they seem much more supportive. Also it’s a college rather than sixth form so it’s a lot more relaxed. xx ~umi
Harl1403
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Thank you
Hey sorry for the completely late reply!

Unfortunately not that is the only down side...

However

If you’re like me and the universities you apply to ask for “more than the minimum” of doing 3 a levels the. The college does allow you to do a 4th ( so long as your grades are good)

This stands in for the EPQ so you’ll be fine plus it’s a chance to take an extra interest
hannah172
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by umi.x)
Hey i’ve also received offers from both colleges and chosen the exact same alevels and personally i’m moving more towards sutton coldfield despite none of my friends attending there, because it’ just has better opportunities and they seem much more supportive. Also it’s a college rather than sixth form so it’s a lot more relaxed. xx ~umi
yeah i think i’ll lean towards sutton as well!

only downside for me is that i’m thinking of applying to oxbridge and i’m not sure how much they could aid me during the process

hopefully i’ll see you there though
hannah172
Rep:
?
Hey sorry for the completely late reply!

Unfortunately not that is the only down side...

However

If you’re like me and the universities you apply to ask for “more than the minimum” of doing 3 a levels the. The college does allow you to do a 4th ( so long as your grades are good)

This stands in for the EPQ so you’ll be fine plus it’s a chance to take an extra interest
that’s completely fine!

and thank you so much, i’ll look into that 😁

good luck with your a levels!!
Harl1403
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah i think i’ll lean towards sutton as well!

only downside for me is that i’m thinking of applying to oxbridge and i’m not sure how much they could aid me during the process

hopefully i’ll see you there though
I applied to Oxford and they were amazingly helpful and actually pushed me into doing it! You’ll be absolutely fine
hannah172
Rep:
?
I applied to Oxford and they were amazingly helpful and actually pushed me into doing it! You’ll be absolutely fine
aaahh thank you!!

if you don’t mind me asking- what were your stats?

with everything going on for teacher predicted grades in our gcses i’m super worried that my grades won’t be good enough for oxford (especially medicine)- i was hoping for 8s and 9s but i’m not so sure anymore so that’s why i’m asking

again, thank you so so much for your help, i appreciate it so much! good luck with oxford
Harl1403
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
aaahh thank you!!

if you don’t mind me asking- what were your stats?

with everything going on for teacher predicted grades in our gcses i’m super worried that my grades won’t be good enough for oxford (especially medicine)- i was hoping for 8s and 9s but i’m not so sure anymore so that’s why i’m asking

again, thank you so so much for your help, i appreciate it so much! good luck with oxford
I applied to law - I was debating medicine! You’ll be fine!

My GCSEs I sat in 2017 and attendees a grammar school - long story short I decided to go to Sutton coldfeild after restarting year 12 (I had lost motivation completely and needed a change in subjects - this is why I can’t praise the place enough the helped me through so much!)

My GCSE’s were 9A*A*7AAAABB6
My predicted a levels are A*A*A
hannah172
Rep:
?
I applied to law - I was debating medicine! You’ll be fine!

My GCSEs I sat in 2017 and attendees a grammar school - long story short I decided to go to Sutton coldfeild after restarting year 12 (I had lost motivation completely and needed a change in subjects - this is why I can’t praise the place enough the helped me through so much!)

My GCSE’s were 9A*A*7AAAABB6
My predicted a levels are A*A*A
that’s fantastic!

again i genuinely can’t thank you enough for this!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed