The Student Room Group

Overseas Student but i live in the uk???

Ive just got an pffer from one of my universities but they say im an overseas student. Ive lived in the UK all my life but i was born in France? This is strange as my address is literally on UCAS??
Please help, many thanks :smile:
Call the admissions up and appeal, you might have to do a fee assessment. Which uni is it? I was born abroad aswell but I've lived in the UK for the past 13 years and one of the unis sent me a fee assessment to complete.
Original post by butterflyb123
Ive just got an pffer from one of my universities but they say im an overseas student. Ive lived in the UK all my life but i was born in France? This is strange as my address is literally on UCAS??
Please help, many thanks :smile:

The UK government have not decided the fee category for EU students with settled or pre settled status.

You need to check with the uni that gave you the offer whether there is a fee assessment process that you can complete now, or whether they are awaiting guidance from the government and may update your fee status automatically at a later date.

Edited to add: Fee status is determined by a combination of residency and nationality.
Original post by Admit-One
The UK government have not decided the fee category for EU students with settled or pre settled status.

You need to check with the uni that gave you the offer whether there is a fee assessment process that you can complete now, or whether they are awaiting guidance from the government and may update your fee status automatically at a later date.

Edited to add: Fee status is determined by a combination of residency and nationality.

Thank you!

I'm a UK citizen and of British nationality, do have any suggestions on why I was asked to complete a fee status? Just wondering, thanks :smile:
Original post by pickledpotato
I'm a UK citizen and of British nationality, do have any suggestions on why I was asked to complete a fee status? Just wondering, thanks :smile:

Were you schooled in the EU / overseas at any point in the last 3 years? Are you a sole British national or do you have dual nationality?
Were you schooled in the EU / overseas at any point in the last 3 years? Are you a sole British national or do you have dual nationality?

No I've been schooled in Britain for the past 13 years and I'm mixed but I identify as British nationality as I've been here so long and don't do anything cultural. I emailed and phoned the uni up and they won't tell me the reason why :frown: It just seems like so much hassle filling it in because I have to gather so many documents, some which I can't find as they're wanting things that are over a decade old. I've had offers from other unis who have identified me as a home student as well so I don't know what the problem is.
No I've been schooled in Britain for the past 13 years and I'm mixed but I identify as British nationality as I've been here so long and don't do anything cultural. I emailed and phoned the uni up and they won't tell me the reason why :frown: It just seems like so much hassle filling it in because I have to gather so many documents, some which I can't find as they're wanting things that are over a decade old. I've had offers from other unis who have identified me as a home student as well so I don't know what the problem is.

I wouldnt worry just do as they ask.
Identifying as a British national does not mean you are.
Some unis just do the test for everyone or on a spot check.

Odd. One muddle that I do see fairly regularly is that students enter their ethnicity in place of their nationality. As above, they’re asking what is on your passport(s), not what you identify as.

In any case, they should be able to sort it out with the info you provide, but I appreciate it’s a hassle putting it all together, especially if you’ve been assessed as Home fees elsewhere.
Call the admissions up and appeal, you might have to do a fee assessment. Which uni is it? I was born abroad aswell but I've lived in the UK for the past 13 years and one of the unis sent me a fee assessment to complete.

Birmingham, i think i have to send few documents
Odd. One muddle that I do see fairly regularly is that students enter their ethnicity in place of their nationality. As above, they’re asking what is on your passport(s), not what you identify as.

In any case, they should be able to sort it out with the info you provide, but I appreciate it’s a hassle putting it all together, especially if you’ve been assessed as Home fees elsewhere.

Yeah I'll just fill it in. My passport says British citizen and British nationality. I'd be happy to show them a copy of my passport but I don't get why they need to know who employed my parents 17 years ago? It's impossible, I'll call them up and tell them I can't find the documents, do you think this will risk my home fee status behaviour if I can't provide them?
Yeah I'll just fill it in. My passport says British citizen and British nationality. I'd be happy to show them a copy of my passport but I don't get why they need to know who employed my parents 17 years ago? It's impossible, I'll call them up and tell them I can't find the documents, do you think this will risk my home fee status behaviour if I can't provide them?

Unlikely, they can't reasonably expect you to provide paperwork from 17 years ago, (unless it was residency/entry related or somesuch). Frankly I don't know why they need docs older than three years anyway. Each uni has their own assessment process so just provide what you can and see what they say.
Unlikely, they can't reasonably expect you to provide paperwork from 17 years ago, (unless it was residency/entry related or somesuch). Frankly I don't know why they need docs older than three years anyway. Each uni has their own assessment process so just provide what you can and see what they say.

Alright, thanks for your advice !
Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt worry just do as they ask.
Identifying as a British national does not mean you are.
Some unis just do the test for everyone or on a spot check.

My passport says British citizen and British nationality
My passport says British citizen and British nationality

Just give them the details or ring them up and ask.
(Original post by 999tigger)Just give them the details or ring them up and ask.
Ok thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest