Why is Biology field dominated by women?

Watch
Ąśh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There are too many women in A-Level biology classes and also in Life Sciences degrees women are almost always the majority.At the same time the field of engineering and technology and maths is dominated by men.I wonder why is there this tendency...
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol it is not.

A lot more women needs to be in the field for Biology to be truly gender-equal.
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stereotype induced choice and a wish to not be in a field dominated by those of the other gender, I'd assume.
I'm not so sure about biology being female dominated, though.
Ąśh
Rep:
?
Most of the time in life science courses the students are around 70%-80% female
Ąśh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ąśh)
I took these figures from Uniguide website
JesusFanGirl69
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ąśh)
There are too many women in A-Level biology classes and also in Life Sciences degrees women are almost always the majority.At the same time the field of engineering and technology and maths is dominated by men.I wonder why is there this tendency...
Your phrasing of 'too many women' is very bizarre, and kind of gross.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ąśh)
What about the staff?
Ąśh
Rep:
?
(Original post by JesusFanGirl69)
Your phrasing of 'too many women' is very bizarre, and kind of gross.
Yeah yeah,whatever...😑

"Number of female students in life science courses is generally higher compared to the number of males in life science courses".

Even if I try to correct myself the idea is the same.I have just made a simple observation.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ąśh)
Why do you ask this question in the first place?

People today have problem with everything. 97% of women don't want to study STEM? Bad. 80% of biology students are women? Bad.

On Earth's sake! Men and women just tend to have different interests, thats all!
Ąśh
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Why do you ask this question in the first place?

People today have problem with everything. 97% of women don't want to study STEM? Bad. 80% of biology students are women? Bad.

On Earth's sake! Men and women just tend to have different interests, thats all!
I am asking this just for CURIOSITY!.
Have no problem with the fact that Biology students are mostly women,nor with the fact that stem degrees are mostly interested by men.It's just the awkward way that I worded the question that might seem to be like it.
I was just wondering what leads to this tendency,wondering what makes biology more interesting to women compared with other sciences.
Ąśh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rufus the red)
Stereotype induced choice and a wish to not be in a field dominated by those of the other gender, I'd assume.
I'm not so sure about biology being female dominated, though.
Seems pretty reasonable.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ąśh)
I am asking this just for CURIOSITY!.
Have no problem with the fact that Biology students are mostly women,nor with the fact that stem degrees are mostly interested by men.It's just the awkward way that I worded the question that might seem to be like it.
I was just wondering what leads to this tendency,wondering what makes biology more interesting to women compared with other sciences.
I doubt a department of psychlogy could give you an accurate answer, let alone student's forum.
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well CompSci is dominated by men.
Last edited by Other_Owl; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We need to bust myths and draw women in. One good way to do this is to teach science at the middle school level. And at the high school level as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (146)
62.13%
I don't have everything I need (89)
37.87%

Watched Threads