Grammatical errors during conversations.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When I'm speaking casually in a conversation with someone I sometimes make grammatical errors in my sentences. This annoys me so much when it happens and I need to somehow overcome this problem. Does this happen to anyone else? I guess I should do more reading to improve my grammar, but I always feel like I'm prone to make such errors.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Can you give an example of what kinds of grammatical errors you make? And do you make these kind of mistakes when writing too, or only when speaking?
Anonymous #1
Mainly when speaking. It's because I have more time to think about it when I'm writing. For example, today I was talking to someone and I said "you suggested me to present my work to other people", when it should have been "you suggested that I present my work to other people".
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think I ever make blatant grammatical errors in my speech, unless it's intentional (for ironic purposes). That said, if I do actually derp badly in my grammar, I notice it immediately and correct myself.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Mainly when speaking. It's because I have more time to think about it when I'm writing. For example, today I was talking to someone and I said "you suggested me to present my work to other people", when it should have been "you suggested that I present my work to other people".
What speed would you say you talk at? Particularly slow or fast? Or about average?
Synergy~
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m the same. I tend to make various mistakes when speaking (as opposed to writing). I correct myself usually, but it is odd, isn’t it?

Do you think it could be nerves/ anxiety? Can sometimes affect speech and overall cognition.
Or could be the pace of your speech.
Last edited by Synergy~; 1 month ago
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Synergy~)
I’m the same. I tend to make various mistakes when speaking (as opposed to writing). I correct myself usually, but it is odd, isn’t it?

Do you think it could be nerves/ anxiety? Can sometimes affect speech and overall cognition.
Or could be the pace of your speech.
omg
Cloudiii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My speech is normally fine but it happens to me when I get nervous. Kind of embarrassing aha
Anonymous #1
What speed would you say you talk at? Particularly slow or fast? Or about average?
I would say between the range of average and fast. I don't talk particularly fast (I used to) but I've managed to slow down to a more manageable speed. That said, the speed at which I speak increases significantly when I get nervous.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I would say between the range of average and fast. I don't talk particularly fast (I used to) but I've managed to slow down to a more manageable speed. That said, the speed at which I speak increases significantly when I get nervous.
A tip I've heard for public speaking in general is to talk a bit slower and take pauses when speaking. Even without your grammar issue, talking too fast or talking continuously without pauses can confuse both you and the people you're talking to. Speaking slowly and taking pauses also allows you to carefully think about what exactly you want to say next, which might help with your grammar issues?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.06%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.23%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.65%

Watched Threads