Saf06
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, I’ve got a question (I’ll write below) and don’t know how to answer it or word it.

My question is What are the selective and diagnostic properties of the four types of media (Blood, MacConkey, CLED and Pseudomonas cetrimide) agar plates?

Thanks!
Last edited by Saf06; 1 month ago
Saf06
Rep:
?
Anyone able to help please
Saf06
Rep:
?
Bump
Saf06
Rep:
?
Can anyone help please
Saf06
Rep:
?
Bump
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try Wikipedia. Make notes.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saf06)
Hey, I’ve got a question (I’ll write below) and don’t know how to answer it or word it.

My question is What are the selective and diagnostic properties of the four types of media (Blood, MacConkey, CLED and Pseudomonas cetrimide) agar plates?

Thanks!
It's easiest to start with a sentence and then work from there.

[W] agar is selective for [X] and differentiates between [Y] and [Z].

You may then wish to go into defining how each plate does what it does. Look at the key ingredients in each type of agar and their purpose. e.g. for MacConkey agar, I would suggest focusing on bile salts, crystal violet, neutral red, and lactose.

To use an example not on your list:

Mannitol Salt Agar (MSA) is selective for gram-positive cocci and is also used to differentiate between coagulase-positive and coagulase-negative Staphylococci. In a clinical context it is often used to isolate and identify Staphylococcus aureus. So I would first mention how it's high NaCl content inhibits the growth of most other bacteria while promoting the growth of Staphylococci. Then I would discuss how mannitol and phenol red allow coagulase-positive and coagulase-negative Staphylococci to be differentiated.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 1 month ago
Saf06
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinfonietta)
It's easiest to start with a sentence and then work from there.

[W] agar is selective for [X] and differentiates between [Y] and [Z].

You may then wish to go into defining how each plate does what it does. Look at the key ingredients in each type of agar and their purpose. e.g. for MacConkey agar, I would suggest focusing on bile salts, crystal violet, neutral red, and lactose.

To use an example not on your list:

Mannitol Salt Agar (MSA) is selective for gram-positive cocci and is also used to differentiate between coagulase-positive and coagulase-negative Staphylococci. In a clinical context it is often used to isolate and identify Staphylococcus aureus. So I would first mention how it's high NaCl content inhibits the growth of most other bacteria while promoting the growth of Staphylococci. Then I would discuss how mannitol and phenol red allow coagulase-positive and coagulase-negative Staphylococci to be differentiated.
Thanks for your help!!!

Really appreciate it👍🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.1%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.84%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.23%

Watched Threads