Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think she has genuine literal prowess? Or was the Harry Potter series just a lucky spark?
    If you ask me, by plot, I think Pullman far outweighs her

ReputationRep:
    There are a magnitude of ideas within the concept so I don't think it was 'one good idea'.

Fantastic creativity. Sure, her writing style isn't up there with the best, but it's still good. For her field though, that isn't what makes a great author.

ReputationRep:
    I do not like the fact that Rowling claims to have never read The Lord of the Rings. However, she deserves her success, no matter how similar to previous fantasies.

ReputationRep:
    She is the best. Only book I have ever read. Was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    She got lucky. I hate Harry Potter and I bet tons of people only like it cos they think they have to.

ReputationRep:
    What sithius said. You don't write seven very successful books out of luck.

ReputationRep:
    God yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    another reason why women shouldn't be let out the kitchen.
    :rofl: Someone who speaks sense, finally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junoreacter)
    Do you think she has genuine literal prowess? Or was the Harry Potter series just a lucky spark?
    If you ask me, by plot, I think Pullman far outweighs her
    She is outclassed by Pullman agreed. A case of being well marketed really it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Her writing style isn't the best, she doesn't have such amazing control of language, but her imagination managed to ignite a passion for reading in millions of people. Luck? I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion there are better writers in terms of style, stuff that is far more 'weighty' for want of a better term. But there is something about Rowling that has me hooked for years. But whilst her prose may not be the most stylish, most flowery prose, she can engage a reader!

There is a level of enjoyment that one gets from reading a Harry Potter book that just gets me going back for more. I can't put my finger on what it is that had me queing up at midnight and reading all night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattp66)
    What sithius said. You don't write seven very successful books out of luck.
    To be fair, once the craze had begun she could've filled the last couple of books with a crock of **** and people would've still bought it! IMO Deathly Hallows did have some of this. Needless to say, I still bought it.

ReputationRep:
    Her story telling is amazing, the vast world she created was literally magical. That said I got bored with HP half way through book 5 and haven't read the concluding chapters. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Do you not see a flaw in this statement? "She is the best, although I've only ever read one book..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Some economist you'll make! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Notice how there are more female fans of Harry Potter that I know of :P
    There are more literally talented writers who haven't made it like her.
    Terry Prattchet, Phillip Pullman.
    I guess she gave the young generation something extraordinary
    But literally. Pullman is king.

But in the battle of the series.

LOTR/SIMILIARION etc absolutely rampages over the HP series

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I do not like the fact that Rowling claims to have never read The Lord of the Rings.
    Why so? I have read quite a lot of literature, and love most of it. But there is something about LOTR that drives me stark raving bonkers! I tried, I failed, I hate to admit that I couldn't even read more than a few pages! :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Do you not see a flaw in this statement? "She is the best, although I've only ever read one book..."
    I did pick up a few other books but never got into it. Don't really know why? No one else really gripped my imagination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    You make a good point. Although to the economist - don't worry, George W had only read one book and look where he got...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red_Sky)
    Why so? I have read quite a lot of literature, and love most of it. But there is something about LOTR that drives me stark raving bonkers! I tried, I failed, I hate to admit that I couldn't even read more than a few pages! :no:
    Patience Luke. Grown restless , you have *in yoda voice*

Did you watch the film/s before or after reading the book? If you start after, the book is tremendously predictable and since its so long , you can't wait for it to be over

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.