Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Persistent bouts of mental illness meant I was incapacitated through much of the closing overs of GCSEs, missed a year of school and still have to miss occasional days at college. Despite gaining entry to college to study four AS courses, I attained no As at AS Level - instead a couple of Bs and a couple of bloody Ds.

I would very much like to read English Literature at Oxford but I'm acutely aware that this particular course and university are fights to the death with regards to getting offers and places.

My question is, do I stand a cat in hell's chance at getting even a look-in if I were to apply? Even with a good personal statement and a notification of a history of disrupted learning due to illness?

Thank you kindly.

ReputationRep:
    oxford and D's don't go I'm afraid to say but Im sure you can improve them in your A2 year if you're determined to.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The least stressful option in your case would be to do your A2s and if you do well in those, apply during a gap year

ReputationRep:
    based on the op's first paragraph, id say you have much to be proud of and highly recommend you put your vocabulary skills into practice, you stand a good chance !

Yes, applying post A level would be good.

If you are desperate to apply this year, you could try emailing several colleges heads of english, and see if they would consider you?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, if you don't want to take a gap year, e-mailing people at the English Faculty is a good way of finding out your chances. Admissions tutors are usually really helpful and nice when it comes to replying e-mails

ReputationRep:
    That really sucks man, but if you really want it, then apply post A2s and I'm sure admission tutors will appreciate your detirmination. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all your advice lads and ladies.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the title, yes, you will be at some point.

Sometimes I hate the thing I've become.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forceps and Tweezers)

My question is, do I stand a cat in hell's chance at getting even a look-in if I were to apply?
    short answer: No

long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You obviously have a decent personality though and come across as being articluate and polite enough to be considered, so if you were able to resit all your AS exams and bump up your workrate at A2 and come out with 3 A's, which people have done before ... then you could apply next year and get in. Good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Question- would Oxford not lower the grades they reqire in light of the OP's disrupted education??? I thought they went for apptitude for the subject rather than someone being able to churn out high grades :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph!e)
    Question- would Oxford not lower the grades they reqire in light of the OP's disrupted education??? I thought they went for apptitude for the subject rather than someone being able to churn out high grades :s
    they may BUT.... if this has happened before they may think "this person has had this problem whats stopping it from happening again"

speaking from the point of someone who also had low grades due to a mental illness, have you thought about restarting first year?
    its what i did but i did kind of have a break down before my summer exams and dropped out so i had no choice, but it worked out best in the end
    i went from a E to a C in one subject without any revision, if you really want to get in maybe it would be an idea?

x

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the OP has a need to retake the whole year. You can get a B up to an A easily if you work hard and Ds up to As with a couple of resits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconite)
    With regards to the title, yes, you will be at some point.

Sometimes I hate the thing I've become.
    Expecting to see this post was the only reason I entered this topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    Expecting to see this post was the only reason I entered this topic.
    I entered to make such a comment, alas I have been bested :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Would they not assume that the exam boards would already have made allowances for the mental illness?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but they generally only lower offers by a couple of grades. While I have every sympathy for the OP's situation, there is currently simply no evidence that they have the required aptitude for an Oxford course. Even if they manage to get AAA (or near to it) predicted, there's no evidence from previous grades of there being a chance it could be achieved.

Now, I realise that the OP has come through some very tough times and it is admirable that they want to aim for Oxford. However, I would strongly recommend applying post-A-level (hopefully) with more suitable grades, and which will also allow more time for whatever mental health issues are still there to begin to be resolved.

ReputationRep:
    While on the face of it your grades rule you out completely the special circunstances you mention make the matter slightly different; it'll be worth investigating Oxford's equivalent of the Special Access Scheme, where your grades will be viewed in light of your illness and disrupted education.

With no idea what your circumstances are, none of us can really say whether you have a chance or not, but you're certainly not automatically ruled out.

Good thread title btw

ReputationRep:
    I would wait until after A2, retake the Ds as well, and see what you come out with. If you can bring them up to say ABB then, considering your extreme circumstances, they might at least look at you.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.