The Student Room Group

dentistry chances

aight so i wanna apply to birmingham university for dentistry but idk what my chances are of getting in my gcses were 9-chemistry 9-physics 9-maths 8-biology 7-english literature 6,6,6- geography,english language,french 5-film studies and i mean i’m in year 12 so i have no clue about a levels but say if i got AAA in bio chem and maths what would my chances be like for variable UCAT score like from below to above average by slight amounts, i also wanna apply to plymouth but bham seems to be better, id be eligible for a contextual offer at plymouth and have applied to the R2P course for birmingham, anyone have an insight into this stuff to put my mind at rest so i can sleep at night, i literally stay awake worrying about UCAT scores and interviews, birmingham is apparently a quality uni for dentistry so wanna go there but all i have to base off is my gcses i’ve done a week of work experience and know a few dentists personally but they qualified a whileeeee back so cant really ask them, cheers.
Have a look at the entry requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements

There’s no point stressing about UCAT and interviews when they’re so far into the future. You’ll do yourself a better favour by concentrating on your studies for now.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Have a look at the entry requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements

There’s no point stressing about UCAT and interviews when they’re so far into the future. You’ll do yourself a better favour by concentrating on your studies for now.

oh cheers didn’t know that even existed, and yeah i guess but dont you apply to university in like october of year 13 which is basically a year from now meaning i’d have to get a UCAT score by like August or something and take it earlier, i hear people say they revise for it like 6-4 weeks before so guess its fine and same with interviews really as you say but i just wanna have the best shot possibly obviously seeing as it could determine the direction of my life but guess it’s just pointless worrying, thanks
Original post by nofriends557
oh cheers didn’t know that even existed, and yeah i guess but dont you apply to university in like october of year 13 which is basically a year from now meaning i’d have to get a UCAT score by like August or something and take it earlier, i hear people say they revise for it like 6-4 weeks before so guess its fine and same with interviews really as you say but i just wanna have the best shot possibly obviously seeing as it could determine the direction of my life but guess it’s just pointless worrying, thanks

Yes you apply by October 15th in year 13. The UCAT is taken in the summer before year 13 and in September of year 13 (depending on your exam slot). Most people revise between 4-6 weeks so you will have plenty of time to focus on this next summer. Your best shot at getting into dentistry is your A Levels, not the UCAT so focus on those.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Yes you apply by October 15th in year 13. The UCAT is taken in the summer before year 13 and in September of year 13 (depending on your exam slot). Most people revise between 4-6 weeks so you will have plenty of time to focus on this next summer. Your best shot at getting into dentistry is your A Levels, not the UCAT so focus on those.

oh really? i was told by some guy that A Levels and UCAT are valued equally and tbh i just took it at face value, he said something like acceptions are based on; 5% GCSEs 35% A levels 35% UCAT 5% personal statement and 20% interview but i guess that was pulled out of thin air.
Original post by nofriends557
oh really? i was told by some guy that A Levels and UCAT are valued equally and tbh i just took it at face value, he said something like acceptions are based on; 5% GCSEs 35% A levels 35% UCAT 5% personal statement and 20% interview but i guess that was pulled out of thin air.

:eyebrow:
Each dental school has their own weighting and assessment method. For example:
- Bristol do 15% A Levels, 15% GCSEs, 35% UCAT and 35% personal statement.
- Barts do 50:50 Ucas points: UCAT.
- KCL consider academic achievements and Ucat the most (don’t specify weightings)
- Queens give people scores based on how much 9,8 and 7s they got at GCSE.

Those are examples from the top of my head. You were told complete rubbish I’m afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest