Feel too old for my partner?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
We both go to university, I’m 22 and she’s 18, I know it’s only 4 years but I inside feel so old for her and it makes me uncomfortable. Any advice?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
We both go to university, I’m 22 and she’s 18, I know it’s only 4 years but I inside feel so old for her and it makes me uncomfortable. Any advice?
If it doesn’t feel right then it probably isn’t, you should be happy in a relationship not uncomfortable.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
What is it that makes you feel uncomfortable exactly? Is it that you feel too mature for her or maybe are you conscious on how others might see your relationship? How does she feel about it?

I can see why you might feel that way, but in the long run the age gap will become meaningless and it's all about how you both connect with each other. Personally, I don't find a four year age gap not that large at all
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it really the 4 year age gap that is making you uncomfortable?
Or other people's critical opinions of that age gap, a difference in maturity/outlook/personal ambitions and lifestyles.
Anonymous #1
What is it that makes you feel uncomfortable exactly? Is it that you feel too mature for her or maybe are you conscious on how others might see your relationship? How does she feel about it?

I can see why you might feel that way, but in the long run the age gap will become meaningless and it's all about how you both connect with each other. Personally, I don't find a four year age gap not that large at all
I feel a bit too mature for her, like we live in different worlds as such. It doesn’t feel like a 4 year age gap but much more. It just feels awkward sometimes, but I do like her obviously.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Is it really the 4 year age gap that is making you uncomfortable?
Or other people's critical opinions of that age gap, a difference in maturity/outlook/personal ambitions and lifestyles.
I think the age gap is fine, it’s just the perception and what other people think. Someone in my uni class made fun of me suggesting I date a 13 year old since my partner is small 🙃
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, it kind of sounds like you're leaning towards saying "This isn't working".
You say:
- you feel so old for her
- it makes you uncomfortable.
- you feel like you live in different worlds
- it feels awkward
- you're uncomfortable with what others think about your relationship

On the "pros" side of the list you have "I do like her". But it sounds like the things you don't like are weighing heavier in how you're presenting your situation to us here.

How you're presenting the situation seems to point in one very clear direction.
blazerod
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why are you uncomfortable? it's only a 4 year age gap, I can't see anything wrong with that
Anonymous #1
(Original post by blazerod)
why are you uncomfortable? it's only a 4 year age gap, I can't see anything wrong with that
I just feel that way, not sure tbh
YaliaV123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends where you both are mentally
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just feel that way, not sure tbh
It seems to me that although you might be physically older, you're not more mature.
candydiva
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
U r not ready for her. Ur fixation on this miniscule chronological difference in age indicates u have insecurity about this for some reason.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.42%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (41)
27.52%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (61)
40.94%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed