Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my friend just told me that most unis don't allow p2ps.... someone please tell me he's lying..

Also what's the internet connection like at imperial?

ReputationRep:
    imperial doesnt allow p2p, the internet is good though.

ReputationRep:
    The internet connection in most halls are amazing. I think Piccadilly and Orient had issues in my year though (2006/7).

No, you cannot use p2p software.

ReputationRep:
    You can't and I wouldn't anyways

ReputationRep:
    You can, if you use a tunnel. I cant remember what the software is called, but it sets a SOCKS proxy up on your machine, and then sends all of that traffic through port 80 (which is allowed on all uni firewalls). You then select the correct SOCKS proxy in your p2p / torrent software.
    But if you get found out, its probably against their terms of service

ReputationRep:
    yea u can also tunnel to the department of computing, and use ur computing account to download torrents. although they might flag you, and then proceed to skull ****** permaban u.

ReputationRep:
    Uni network admins use traffic shaping, so tunneling your P2P activity through the HTTP port will be very obvious to spot, and is as good as universally against the uni's Terms and Conditions.

Don't do it.

[EDIT] In fact, you lose your best defence by doing that: If you said... ahh sorry I didn't realise I couldn't use it, they'd warn you, but probably not cut you off. If you try that same defence, but you're running it through a HTTP Tunnel, you're knowingly and deliberately trying to subvert the system, and they will smite you for it.

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone I knew in halls used torrents last year. The system won't allow you to download .torrent files but if you manage to get a hold of the file you can use torrents like there is no tomorrow. There are many people that know how to get around the system by not getting banned even after exceeding the limit.

The system needs to be improved if they want to stop people downloading.

ReputationRep:
    U better be kidding, if i can't get a fix of Heroes, Prison Break, Gossip Girl, Chuck, Terminator, 90210, Fringe, Greek, Dirty Sexy Money, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives or 24 in-between lectures and a social life (i.e. dont sleep) i'll go into meltdown!

ReputationRep:
    guess we'll have to rely on ****** streaming video sites for our tv show fixes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decaf)
    guess we'll have to rely on ****** streaming video sites for our tv show fixes
    yea, if anyone in pembridge is desperate for house tho, i have seasons 1-3. but appart from that, ur streaming for the next year biatches!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichUK89)
    U better be kidding, if i can't get a fix of Heroes, Prison Break, Gossip Girl, Chuck, Terminator, 90210, Fringe, Greek, Dirty Sexy Money, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives or 24 in-between lectures and a social life (i.e. dont sleep) i'll go into meltdown!
    Enjoy your 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Enjoy your 3rd.
    i second, u will be lucky to pass.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, ok so i'm kidding! Yeah i watch all those shows, but i'll probably only end up watching my real favourites when i'm in uni and just watch the rest during holidays when i'm back home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichUK89)
    Gossip Girl is good! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I need Lost and Scrubs!

Anyway, I thought if you encrypted your data on your torrent app then it just masks the traffic as HTTP stuff and you don't get caught. Or am I being a noob?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IChem)
    I need Lost and Scrubs!

Anyway, I thought if you encrypted your data on your torrent app then it just masks the traffic as HTTP stuff and you don't get caught. Or am I being a noob?
    a few torrents work, if the link itself isnt banned. its slow though because all the popular links arent accessible. i doubt you can just encrypt and go.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, good thing I don't live too far from home! Go back and download!

ReputationRep:
    yea, but u honestly wont have time to download too much. Or even watch it. You will find there are better and more important things to be dooing than watching scrubs and such.

ReputationRep:
    Probably true.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.