The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Do we have to buy our own LAN cable in order to access to the internet in our rooms?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
studyboy
Do we have to buy our own LAN cable in order to access to the internet in our rooms?

Yes. Or you can buy it from the union, which apparently is reasonably long as someone said in some other forum.
Reply 62
pisces_abhi
Yes. Or you can buy it from the union, which apparently is reasonably long as someone said in some other forum.

10 metres are available for cheap.
Reply 63
Cyco
I know 3-4 people last year who had multiple MACs and weren't disciplined - they didn't even get a warning. Just using the encryption option (if you use utorrent) should be able to sort you out, though I am not condoning illegal use of p2p.

If you go over the limit once - 2 day ban from halls networks
If you go over the limit twice - 2 week ban from halls networks
If you go over the limit thrice/three times - never-ending ban from halls networks

Nah, if you've been banned for 2 days, you just change mac, and then when you get banned the second time its for 2 days again.

It happened to me like 3 time (cos i'm an idiot and didn't monitor usage, but it was during weekends so i could go home anyway). Instead of permanent ban, I got away with 6 days downtime which I just spent at home :P
true, but apprently this year its vhanged so you cannot do this
Reply 65
In 2nd year (i.e. in a house/flat) you can probably get BeThere broadband (or O2) which is 24Mb/s ADSL, and probably the best you're going to get in the UK until fibre is sorted out.
but do they allow torrents? cause some isp dont allow P2P
Reply 67
xaxa
In 2nd year (i.e. in a house/flat) you can probably get BeThere broadband (or O2) which is 24Mb/s ADSL, and probably the best you're going to get in the UK until fibre is sorted out.

Its only 24 mbit if you live right next to exchange. However, go with virgin, I'm on them now and 20mbit fibre is awesome.
aria57
Its only 24 mbit if you live right next to exchange. However, go with virgin, I'm on them now and 20mbit fibre is awesome.

seconded
aria57

how much u pay for it?
thematrixreloaded
Anyone know if you can use one of those Slingboxes at uni? Dad suggested it as an alternative to watch tv, but I don't want to waste my money if I can't get through the firewall.

For tv College take the multicasts from http://www.freewiretv.co.uk/ , free channels & pay.
Reply 71
lawrywild
They're the same thing firstly (connection and download speed), just one is in bits and the other in bytes (8 bits per byte) and secondly it's a capital B for bytes and a small b for bits

8Mb/s = 1MB/s

He meant 16Mb/s

Cheers for that correction in my terminological inexactitudes.:biggrin:

and 16Mb/s! I'm hearting that idea!
studyboy

Yes get your own LAN cable - buy a long one because you may not know how far is the port away from your desk, and you want some flexibility.

Buy from your home country Malaysia - tax on UK computer products is crazy. In Europe the tax is just far too heavy for FDI, as oppose to the low tax, pro business regime in Asia ex Japan.

Every time when I'm in Asia, like Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc, I always admire how efficient things are. People there are extremely motivated, disciplined and driven (and of course, stressed). Europe used to be like that 200 years ago and America 100 years ago, but no more. Little wonder Jim Rogers sends her little daughter Happy to Singapore (one of the most admirable countries around, IMO, btw) and makes her learn Chinese.
Reply 73
s.e.r.e.n.e
Yes get your own LAN cable - buy a long one because you may not know how far is the port away from your desk, and you want some flexibility.

Buy from your home country Malaysia - tax on UK computer products is crazy. In Europe the tax is just far too heavy for FDI, as oppose to the low tax, pro business regime in Asia ex Japan.

Every time when I'm in Asia, like Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc, I always admire how efficient things are. People there are extremely motivated, disciplined and driven (and of course, stressed). Europe used to be like that 200 years ago and America 100 years ago, but no more. Little wonder Jim Rogers sends her little daughter Happy to Singapore (one of the most admirable countries around, IMO, btw) and makes her learn Chinese.

Wow, you are now moaning about a < £5 cable. You'd make an excellent bean counter, er, accountant.
Reply 74
s.e.r.e.n.e

It's less than a fiver, really, and 10 metres long. What could you want with a longer cable? That's pretty much run the entire perimeter of your room.
Reply 75
aria57

I'm on 10mb with virgin which I can't complain about. :biggrin:
Reply 76
s.e.r.e.n.e

What parts of those countries have you been in? Regardless of what people thing, there is such thing as a lazy, criminal, fat gangster chinese, japanese, korean or signaporean.

A lot of Japanese work like slaves, making M&A guys look like pussies for 1/10th the pay, are motivated for no reason other than peer pressure.

Anyway, apart from Japan, why don't you propose a taxation system on people who mostly deal cash in hand. The taxation are low enough for anyone to even pay them, with any rises, noone would pay, and the govt probably couldn't do **** all about it.

Post after post, I come to the realisation that your model of the world is completely wrong, ranging from your brownnosing USA to Asians to your hatred for the European lifestyle etc. But then I guess you are a typical Weaboo.
Reply 77
Ok. To clarify.

CAN I USE BITTORRENT IN HALLS?

I understand encryption and SSH tunneling but is it actually nessesary?
ashy
10 metres are available for cheap.

Well I have a spare one at home, but in case it's short, I can always buy from the union :wink:.

Oh and is there a way to get around using rapidshare and other file-sharing websites for downloading, in case they are banned, because I don't particularly like using torrents?
SERENE if you love asia and america so much, and you despise europe to such an exent, then go to an american/asian institution. America has a large number of respect universities, some of which are even better than imperial. So if you hate europe so much, there are other universities you can go to.

Latest

Trending

Trending