Dudley2005
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I have an offer to study business at Oxford Brookes. I'm Canadian and will be coming to the UK as an international student next year. The main thing that attracts me to Oxford Brookes is the opportunity to live in such a historic English town. I was slightly dismayed to read this post, which paints a picture of the area as some sort of crime ridden ghetto and cites what seem to be reliable sources.

(2) Is Oxford Brookes as bad as it's made out to be? - Page 2 - The Student Room

I was hoping that somebody would respond and refute what was said, yet the thread has now been closed without any explanation. I'm not yet committed to Oxford Brookes, having also applied elsewhere. However I'd like to hear other viewpoints on the area I'd be living in were I to choose Oxford Brookes.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Advertisement
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dudley2005)
Hello,

I have an offer to study business at Oxford Brookes. I'm Canadian and will be coming to the UK as an international student next year. The main thing that attracts me to Oxford Brookes is the opportunity to live in such a historic English town. I was slightly dismayed to read this post, which paints a picture of the area as some sort of crime ridden ghetto and cites what seem to be reliable sources.

(2) Is Oxford Brookes as bad as it's made out to be? - Page 2 - The Student Room

I was hoping that somebody would respond and refute what was said, yet the thread has now been closed without any explanation. I'm not yet committed to Oxford Brookes, having also applied elsewhere. However I'd like to hear other viewpoints on the area I'd be living in were I to choose Oxford Brookes.

Oxford Brookes is not in the bad part of Oxford. Oxford in general is a pretty safe place, the bad part of Oxford like iffley and Blackbird leys isn't near Brookes uni anyway. & Brookes is certainly not in a ghetto that is laughable.

You'll be fine, obviously you cant eliminate all risk but most of Oxford is below average risk.
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dudley2005)
Hello,

Hello Dudley2005,

Hope you are doing well! Congratulations on receiving your offer!!

I have been a student at the University for a few years now and I have not ever experienced any issues with the location of Oxford Brookes in my time there.

In my personal experience I have always felt safe on campus, even when studying there late into the evening. Security is always available and students can contact them if they do experience any issues on campus which is nice to know.

I hope this was able to be of some help. If you have any questions about student life or the University, please do feel free to ask.

All the best,

Shaf
Advertisement
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should be fine.
Bear in mind that Oxford is pretty safe compared with other cities, too.
Geo55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Oxford Brookes is not in the bad part of Oxford. Oxford in general is a pretty safe place, the bad part of Oxford like iffley and Blackbird leys isn't near Brookes uni anyway. & Brookes is certainly not in a ghetto that is laughable.

You'll be fine, obviously you cant eliminate all risk but most of Oxford is below average risk.
Nope.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17...me-uk-average/

That crime may not be happening right next to Oxford Brookes campus but it's concentrated in areas where Brookes student halls are and where Brookes students usually rent houses.
Advertisement
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Geo55)
Nope.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17...me-uk-average/

That crime may not be happening right next to Oxford Brookes campus but it's concentrated in areas where Brookes student halls are and where Brookes students usually rent houses.
Brookes is between the city centre and Headington which like any metropiltan area will have higher crime rates as its more urban dense area but its certainly not the bad part of Oxford or an excessively dangerous area.

BBL is known as the bad part of Oxford and its not a place where students live or visit.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
Geo55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Brookes is between the city centre and Headington which like any metropiltan area will have higher crime rates as its more urban dense area but its certainly not the bad part of Oxford or an excessively dangerous area.

BBL is known as the bad part of Oxford and its not a place where students live or visit.
Cowley Road has a higher crime rate than Blackbird leys anyway. Blackbird leys backs on to Cowley, which does have Brookes halls. Cowley is where Blackird leys mostly does its shopping. Hence all the betting shops, pound shops and Brighthouse in the shopping centre. If people like the centre of Oxford, with its traditional tailors, tobacconists, covered market and so on, they should know that as a Brookes student, the area they will be moving to is the opposite of that. The whole east of Oxford is the poor part of Oxford and is where poverty and crime is concentrated in the city. You don't find poverty if you go out of Oxford in other directions. You don't find it in suburbs like Summertown and Jericho where Oxford students mostly live.
Advertisement
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are the other universities you have applied to Dudley2005 ?
Akuma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You also need to keep in mind that universities recruit facilities staff from their local areas. In Brookes's case this results in pretty much what you'd expect. Many rude, aggressive, confrontational staff, occasionally complete with tattooed knuckles.

https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1...versity-oxford
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
13.19%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (20)
21.98%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (40)
43.96%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.3%

Watched Threads