Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On Oxford website it says:

Important Message for Candidates: The University is planning to introduce new courses to replace the following courses currently on offer for 2009 entry:
    Physiological Sciences

What are they replacing it with? and why?

ReputationRep:
    Biomedical sciences.

This means you can apply for physiological sciences this year but cannot apply for deferred entry.

ReputationRep:
    i.e. Change of name? Can't see how the course would change dramatically?
    If people ask what I do I just say Biomedical Science anyway.

When I say Physiology, at least a quarter of people reply "Oh, your learning to massage people?" . . . :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between biomedical science and physiological sciences?

ReputationRep:
    ...what on earth are they doing? I looked on the Oxford website but couldn't see anything more than what's already been said here. Are they actually getting rid of Physiological Sciences, or will Biomedical Sciences be basically the same course? And why?

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine them getting rid of it.
    They will end it as it stands, and I would think replace it with something that will be pretty damn similar.
    I'd reckon its probably just bureaucratic, the course (B100) or whatever it is will cease to exist, to be replaced by Biomedical Science (XYYY).
    Although thats just conjecture, what would I know :o:

EDIT: As for why, when I was speaking to Piers Nye, the director of the course across the uni, he did mention they were consider renaming it, to bring it into line with the vast majority of universities that call their course Biomedical Science.
    I got the impression that they may have found it misleading, when it is essentially the same as the courses with a different name.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah at open day, I asked Piers Nye about it too...and one of the medical students. They're just changing the name apparently, but the course structure is basically the same. Except you can't do Physiology in PPP anymore, just physiology in whatever the new course is.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that makes perfect sense - I've volunteered at a couple of Oxbridge Regional Conferences, and Piers Nye always had to spend about 10 minutes at the start of the "Medicine & Physiological Sciences" talk explaining what Physiology was, and how it wasn't Physiotherapy! :p: Hopefully the name change will increase applicant numbers, as the content of the course suddenly becomes clear!

ReputationRep:
    I think that if I get AAA I may just apply for Biomed at Oxford now!

*Is sooo excited*

ReputationRep:
    Good Job
    I'm starting it in 2 weeks! :woo:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.