Sha.xo527
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok so, I'm doing 10 other subjects as well as French. I will still get still Ebacc since I'm fluent in Spanish and will do the Spanish gcse exams.
My goals are all Grade 9s, and perhaps French will spread me too thin? I'm not struggling in French or anything, my teacher says she's confident I'll do ''pretty good''. However, I also want to ensure the grades on my other subjects and make sure I properly spend time on them.

I mean I could always learn French and do the exams once I'm an adult (if I wanted to), and on more 'calm' terms.

Keep in mind, I'm someone who stresses much more than the average person, and also have anxiety.
hapiolen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sha.xo527)
Ok so, I'm doing 10 other subjects as well as French. I will still get still Ebacc since I'm fluent in Spanish and will do the Spanish gcse exams.
My goals are all Grade 9s, and perhaps French will spread me too thin? I'm not struggling in French or anything, my teacher says she's confident I'll do ''pretty good''. However, I also want to ensure the grades on my other subjects and make sure I properly spend time on them.

I mean I could always learn French and do the exams once I'm an adult (if I wanted to), and on more 'calm' terms.

Keep in mind, I'm someone who stresses much more than the average person, and also have anxiety.
Yes it will save you time and your youth
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
(Original post by hapiolen)
One of my teachers says that the more languages the better, because employers appreciate that. By the time you get to a job interview you don't even need to remember anything you learned; just remember things like ''my birthday is on the x''. Not only that, but it might make you stand out from other people who want that same job. By the way, I want to work either as a dentist or an statistician.

Is all that waffle worth it?
hapiolen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One of my teachers says that the more languages the better, because employers appreciate that. By the time you get to a job interview you don't even need to remember anything you learned; just remember things like ''my birthday is on the x''. Not only that, but it might make you stand out from other people who want that same job. By the way, I want to work either as a dentist or an statistician.

Is all that waffle worth it?
which teacher said that ? if it was a language teacher don't trust him/her lol . they are biased .

other things can make you stand out aswell like good work exp , unique character and other things , not only qualifications

i would drop french but its up to you
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
which teacher said that ? if it was a language teacher don't trust him/her lol . they are biased .

other things can make you stand out aswell like good work exp , unique character and other things , not only qualifications

i would drop french but its up to you
It was my form tutor (who is an English teacher). And I'll listen to you- I'll drop it.
Harrya2020
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Keep french unless it’s becoming a major problem. I did 4 languages for gcse and they really complemented each other. Also, the threshold for a 9 isn’t in achievable - half my class of 15 got a grade 9.
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrya2002)
Keep french unless it’s becoming a major problem. I did 4 languages for gcse and they really complemented each other. Also, the threshold for a 9 isn’t in achievable - half my class of 15 got a grade 9.
Ok, I won't drop it, I was worried about not achieving the grades but you calmed me down, thank you
hapiolen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok, I won't drop it, I was worried about not achieving the grades but you calmed me down, thank you
You said you are someone who stresses much more than the average person, and also have anxiety and other subjects like maths and science are really topic heavy and it will be better to get higher grades in the core subjects . Learning French as well as 10 other subjects will put loads of pressure on you and you will end up procrastinating . Also people at harrya2002 's class may not have anxiety and don't feel pressurized as you may do so they did better . But again its up to you , i am someone who procrastinating and felt anxious a lot therefore i dropped spanish and felt much more time on other subjects and got 8's and 7's in mocks (this year) .
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
You said you are someone who stresses much more than the average person, and also have anxiety and other subjects like maths and science are really topic heavy and it will be better to get higher grades in the core subjects . Learning French as well as 10 other subjects will put loads of pressure on you and you will end up procrastinating . Also people at harrya2002 's class may not have anxiety and don't feel pressurized as you may do so they did better . But again its up to you , i am someone who procrastinating and felt anxious a lot therefore i dropped spanish and felt much more time on other subjects and got 8's and 7's in mocks (this year) .
Actually, I'll drop it, thank you

P.S. Sorry if I sound annoying going back and forth on decisions lol x
hapiolen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

lmao , it's fine
Harrya2020
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Do what feels right. Either way, it’s not going to have any real impact on your future. French is always something you can come back to.
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrya2002)
Do what feels right. Either way, it’s not going to have any real impact on your future. French is always something you can come back to.
What feels right tbh is sticking with French and doing meditation to help with anxiety... I won't drop it then, cheers x

(I literally just did it again smhhhh)
Last edited by Sha.xo527; 1 month ago
hapiolen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What feels right tbh is sticking with French and doing meditation to help with anxiety... I won't drop it then, cheers x

it can effect your future if you don't focus on main subjects .
Just think about it for a day before making hasty decisions and then when you haven't got mixed feelings you would have made a choice
Frozetman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I know how u feel I do French and Spanish for GCSE and felt like dropping one of them for a long time, how I normally deal with having languages and more key subjects is having just one evening ,normally a Saturday, and revise vocab tenses and agreements then. However I would have to say that if u don't feel motivated enough to study French it's not worth the effort
SchmuckOff
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
French is ass juice
I wanted to drop it but I suggest taking it anyway . An extra GCSE no matter the grade (as long as you pass) is good
Sha.xo527
Rep:
?
it can effect your future if you don't focus on main subjects .
Just think about it for a day before making hasty decisions and then when you haven't got mixed feelings you would have made a choice
Hey so I thought about it thoroughly and I'll take the pain in the *ss and stick with French. I know 12 subjects isn't unachievable (Well, 11 technically, I won't revise for Spanish) and as long as i surpass my desire to procrastinate I'll be fine. There's tons of time too until my exams. Thank you
Last edited by Sha.xo527; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (32)
16.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (60)
30.15%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (76)
38.19%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
13.07%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed