Report 1 month ago
Oxford don't accept transfers :no:
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mobuh)
Hello. If anyone who's very knowledgeable about how Oxford deals with these situations could give me their opinion on the following, I would really appreciate it.

Some context:

I had my eyes set on Oxford back in year 9, when I went on a school trip which was a part of the 'Gifted and Talented Students' programme at my school. I consistently revised 8-13 hours per day for months leading up to my GCSE exams and attained 8 A*s and 3 As, with 2 of those GCSE's being self-taught. (Further Maths, A*, and Law, A).

My mental health swan-dived during college and I fell short of my predicted A Level grades of A*A*AA, attaining AAB in Maths, Physics and Chemistry respectively, and D in an AS Level Further Maths(I dropped the Further Maths A Level for Further Maths AS as a result of my mental health worsening). Needless to say, I was rejected by all of the universities I had applied to , with the exception of Bristol and Southampton. I didn't apply to Oxford because I was told that Oxford = Humanities and Cambridge = STEM (obviously, I now see that this is not true).

I took a gap year while my mental health took it's time bottoming out and then rebounding. Due to a very long, unnecessary series of unfortunate events, I ended up at the University of Surrey studying Maths in Sept. of 2019. I didn't want to be there or be studying Maths, but due to reasons too tangential to explain, I continued with my studies hoping that I would start again on Computer Science next year.

So, here I am, having started my 1st year of Computer Science at Surrey in Sept. of 2020. As unsatisfying as my story thus far may be, I now finally feel ready to continue along my original trajectory, with the ambition I once had, which I have now recovered. I feel a burning desire that was never fulfilled, which was to study at Oxford as my 13 year old self had envisioned.

I wonder, given my circumstances, the chances I have of being granted a transfer into my 2nd year of Comp Sci at Oxford? Of course, I would have to meet some academic requirement, and that's if my current course content matches that of Comp Sci at Oxford. But, am I so severely disadvantaged by my circumstances that Oxford would, frankly, not even consider me?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for the lengthy post.

P.S. I will contact admissions in due time, but I'd just like an idea of my chances before I do so.
Well their is no theoretical harm in emailing and asking, however I assume the admissions office will simply tell you to apply via UCAS for year 1 start and they would probably look at your attained a-levels anyway & you have missed the 2021 deadline.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mobuh)
I see. I wouldn't be looking to fall another year behind at this point, but thank you for the response. I'll see what they say.
There's no point even asking, the answer is very clearly stated on their website:

"Oxford University does not accept transfer students, so if you wish to follow an undergraduate course here, then you would need to apply to start the course from the beginning"

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...qualifications (scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click the word 'Transfers').

If you really want to do this, you'll need to start again from the very beginning for Year 1 entry in 2022. Though if you started two different degrees at Surrey in two consecutive years, I'm guessing you're not gonna be eligible for student loans to cover a whole Oxford degree...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (272)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (209)
43.45%

Watched Threads