Struggling with covid and mental health

Watch
Arre
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello i am a second year university student and i have been really struggling with my mental health this term. I have been unable to go out at all with my classmates from last year weve only been in classes together so i feel as though we havent been able to bond much more than we did last year due to this. I also am frustrated that a lot of our assessments were switched around (for example my placements next year are now online and i have to teach via a teams live stream for them if we are still able to do this even we havent got confirmation yet.) it just feels like life is so much harder when you go to do anything nowadays. I also have been barely able to see family and some of my friends who don't live in the city I am going to university in due to the covid restrictions which adds to my stress levels.
Last edited by Interrobang; 3 months ago
Arre
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Fat man)
Sometimes you have to just be more grateful, im assuming you live in a house, you must have access to the Internet on a smart device, you have friends, you have education and you are going to uni yet you are still complaining. People have non of this and are losing people due to this virus. Its not just you whos in lockdown and not been out its everyone. Im not being rude but instead of using energy feeling sorry for yourself and playing the sympathy card on here I would suggest being more grateful for what you have because the world doesn't revolve around you. Again I am not trying to be rude or whatever I am just being truthful
It feels like you're being pretty rude. This is why some people don't open up or ask for advice because of people like you. I'm not playing any sympathy card, that is not my intention, I just believed this was a safe space to open up and ask for advice at a moment when I didn't know what to do. I acknowledge I have more than some people but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to struggle or to be upset when something happens in my life. If you have nothing constructive/nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Thanks 😊
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hm, the OP was originally made a month or so ago. Has anything changed? How are you feeling now?
Arre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Hm, the OP was originally made a month or so ago. Has anything changed? How are you feeling now?
Hi yes thank you I have seeked help from my family, my friends and some other mental health services and am progressing through my second year at a slower pace with the help of tutors. I am feeling a little better and am back home for a while due to the national lockdown anyway. 😊
Fat man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Arre)
It feels like you're being pretty rude. This is why some people don't open up or ask for advice because of people like you. I'm not playing any sympathy card, that is not my intention, I just believed this was a safe space to open up and ask for advice at a moment when I didn't know what to do. I acknowledge I have more than some people but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to struggle or to be upset when something happens in my life. If you have nothing constructive/nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Thanks 😊
I'm not trying to be rude just realistic andunless you want me to lie to you Iwouldsay its good. I mean you can maybe go put and do some exercise and you can meet 1 person from outside the household. Unfortunately dealing with it might be the realistic solution for you right now because I'm sorry to inform and I agree it does suck but we do have got quite a long time until we come out of lockdown and even then we will probably just go into tier 4.
Last edited by Fat man; 1 month ago
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Arre)
Hi yes thank you I have seeked help from my family, my friends and some other mental health services and am progressing through my second year at a slower pace with the help of tutors. I am feeling a little better and am back home for a while due to the national lockdown anyway. 😊
Okay, that's good to hear, be kind to yourself, last year sucked for all of us, and it's OK to get help, so I'm glad you did. What sort of things are you doing day to day? Do you journal? Meditate? Practice mindfulness? These small things can be incoorperated into your day to day life and whilst they might not "fix" the situation, they can help.
Arre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fat man)
I'm not trying to be rude just realistic andunless you want me to lie to you Iwouldsay its good. I mean you can maybe go put and do some exercise and you can meet 1 person from outside the household. Unfortunately dealing with it might be the realistic solution for you right now because I'm sorry to inform and I agree it does suck but we do have got quite a long time until we come out of lockdown and even then we will probably just go into tier 4.
I don't appreciate your accusation of playing the sympathy card at all within your first post,I was at a moment in my life where I was struggling and went to a forum for support and advice so I wasn't playing the sympathy card at all, I reached out, there's a difference. I am dealing with the situation now and my mental health is slowly improving which is positive. I understand that lockdown is hard on everyone and that it is around for a while. If you weren't trying to be rude then fair enough but it came across very much in that way.
Arre
Rep:
?
Okay, that's good to hear, be kind to yourself, last year sucked for all of us, and it's OK to get help, so I'm glad you did. What sort of things are you doing day to day? Do you journal? Meditate? Practice mindfulness? These small things can be incoorperated into your day to day life and whilst they might not "fix" the situation, they can help.
Thank you and yes I know it wasn't a nice time for anyone. I haven't made any daily habits but I have been trying to be more active and make sure I get fresh air wherever possible even if that's just a small walk in the morning. I went for a run today and that really helped clear my mind.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Arre)
Thank you and yes I know it wasn't a nice time for anyone. I haven't made any daily habits but I have been trying to be more active and make sure I get fresh air wherever possible even if that's just a small walk in the morning. I went for a run today and that really helped clear my mind.
Well, that's a good start, perhaps add in things to your daily life every week or every other week. Don't add things in too much too quickly, or you'll likely just overwhelm yourself.
Arre
Rep:
?
Well, that's a good start, perhaps add in things to your daily life every week or every other week. Don't add things in too much too quickly, or you'll likely just overwhelm yourself.
Yeah thanks that's good advice xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.89%
Virtual campus tours/open days (112)
23.28%
Live streaming events (44)
9.15%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.66%
An in-person event when available (108)
22.45%