ragingturtle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ive applied for exceptional factors to try and get a extension on my dissertation due to recent symptoms of depression and a suspected decline in my mental health. Has anyone had any experience of putting a claim in?

At the moment I don't have a diagnosis as I'm seeing my doctor on Monday, but due to covid, you do not need to submit medical evidence with the claim, just your personal statement.

I have no idea what happens now, I know I'll get an answer in the next 10 days (8 because of the 2 passed since I submitted it) and I'm so confused.

They are offering a 5 day extension which would be perfect for me, but waiting 10 days to hear if I can have an extension that would have finished by the time I get the news about if seems very strange... Or am I understanding this wrong?

Any help would be appreciated
UpsetBoulevard
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fellow MMU student here - you’re not understanding it wrong, it’s just a silly system and the backlog is absolutely insane rn. We had a similar situation (not diss, just coursework!) on my course and we kicked off about it - we were advised to fill in the form without evidence and just act as though everything was definitely approved even if you didn’t get confirmation right away - apparently they’re not turning anyone away due to covid rn, so it should be processed no problem, it’s just taking forever because of the amount of people having issues with work and they can’t cope with the admin. People on my course submitted as if they had an extension, even without confirmation, and although the moodle said that they were submitting late they were told the tutors would just override it later when marking. Basically I’d just hang tight and act as if you’ve got the extension, they’re just rubbish at communicating any of this to students!
ragingturtle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by UpsetBoulevard)
Fellow MMU student here - you’re not understanding it wrong, it’s just a silly system and the backlog is absolutely insane rn. We had a similar situation (not diss, just coursework!) on my course and we kicked off about it - we were advised to fill in the form without evidence and just act as though everything was definitely approved even if you didn’t get confirmation right away - apparently they’re not turning anyone away due to covid rn, so it should be processed no problem, it’s just taking forever because of the amount of people having issues with work and they can’t cope with the admin. People on my course submitted as if they had an extension, even without confirmation, and although the moodle said that they were submitting late they were told the tutors would just override it later when marking. Basically I’d just hang tight and act as if you’ve got the extension, they’re just rubbish at communicating any of this to students!
Oh wow, I had.no idea it was that crazy!! Did the people on your course have their marks capped at the pass mark for submitting it late or were they able to have it uncapped? (Was everything okay for them?)

Nice to know I'm not the only one using it.

Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by ragingturtle; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads